Windshield Wiper Questions by zkhennings
Started on: 08-05-2013 11:09 AM
Replies: 7 (304 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 08-06-2013 01:07 AM
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So for some reason I guess I assumed it was normal that my wipers did not return to the down position when I turn them off, they just stop moving wherever they are. I figured eh my car came as a base model it probably did not have that feature, just like how I only have 2 wiper settings.

Recently my car repaired itself and the wipers return to the down position by themselves when I turn the wipers off.

A week later and it stopped working again.

So, the control module is on the wiper motor correct? (85 fiero)

And if I replace it, can I upgrade to the wiper stalk and motor that allow intermittent wiper settings? Or will I have to change some wiring as well?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No... adding delay needs more that change a switch.

No delay then no module.

At Minimum...
Change Motor w/ delay board
Change switch and correct lever

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couple of different issues to discuss.

1, It sounds like the "park" switch in the wiper motor is either failing OR the wiper switch in the steering column is bad. If it's the park switch, you will need a new wiper motor as the park switch is not available separately. If it's the wiper switch, you will need to open the steering column to replace it. It's possible the wiper switch isn't always sending the signal to the park switch, telling the wipers to return home...so to speak. Because it wasn't working but now is, I would start by checking for a bad connection before replacing anything. Check the connections at the wiring harness for the wiper switch under the dash at the base of the steering column. Check the wires at the wiper switch and especially the ground at the wiper switch (one of the three bolts that holds the motor to the bulk head acts as the ground). If all connections are solid and clean. Now you've gotta narrow it to the park or wiper switch. Try wiggling the turn signal lever while shutting the wipers off to see if you can replicate a faulty wiper switch.

2, Different wiper switches for standard wipers v. intermittent wipers. If you are planning to upgrade to intermittent wipers, you will need top replace three things. 1, Wiper motor. 2, wiper switch in the steering column. 3, turn signal stalk. All three items are unique to intermittent wipers or Delay wipers, which ever you want to call them. If you're going to upgrade, no need to diagnose the parking issue.

Good luck and report back.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would love to replace. I believe the issue is the park switch because they started working again during a very heavy week of rain. The module is located on the wiper motor correct? Is it one unit?

How much steering column disassemble is required to access the wiper switch? Is it hidden under the lower panel or will I need to remove everything from the steering wheel down to the wiper switch?
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zkhennings

1922 posts
Member since Oct 2010

Originally posted by theogre:

No... adding delay needs more that change a switch.

No delay then no module.

At Minimum...
Change Motor w/ delay board
Change switch and correct lever

Ogre I meant that changing to the correct motor with delay board will allow me to have delay wipers.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only wiper motor with a replaceable module is the "intermittent" style motor. You can compare a photo of the two on www.rockauto.com.

Unfortunately, you do have to tear the column down to the switch and then fish the harness down. I'm assuming that since you don't have the delay wipers that you prob. don't have a tilt column either. If no tilt, it's a little less work to replace. Still a chore the 1st time.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a tilt column
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, depending on your experience, it may be better to get the switch and have a shop install it. Where I used to work we charged $100 to tighten a loose GM tilt column. That's tearing it down farther than you have to do for the switch. 30 minutes for a knowledgable tech v. possibly all weekend for you or me!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock