Transmission lines, uguuu. by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 08-04-2013 08:02 PM
Replies: 10 (387 views)
Last post by: EvilSqueezles on 08-07-2013 04:42 PM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got my timing set right on my 87 GT and got the brakes done. Took her out for a maiden voyage of sorts. A short trip to the gas station in town and back. First off the rear driver brake smoked like a sumbitch, hut I'm going to contribute that to grease or oil from my fingers being in the rotor for now, its all brand new parts.

On to the transmission, its all stock 2.8 auto. While driving it, it wasn't seeming to shift well. Kinda hesitant to downshift seemed like it stuck in neutral a couple times. Looks to be slightly los on fluid so I can't judge for certain yet. BUT, when I parked it I noticed transmission fluid pooling up around the middle on the driver side. So I jacked it up and I believe one of the lines running to the radiator has cracked..is there any was to fix this? Or do I need to replace that whole line? Its dripping off right by where the Jack point is there... so I have my guess as to why it would break there. I followed the line back and they aren't wet much further back so I don't expect its broken somewhere else and running down. Any fixes? Or should I just plan on ponying up for a new set of lines?

And, could anyone snap a pic of where those lines go into the 2 lines off the transmission? I wanna know for sure that these aren't crossed how they are in there now. Thanks guys. Eventually this car might be road worthy.

~James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait!....you are dragging a brake pad....grease on the rotors won't make smoke.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its parked at the moment anyways, I'll tear it back apart and see what's going on. Brand new rotors calipers and pads, wonder why it would drag. And I just noticed that new trans lines are only 130 from fiero store so I guess I'll start a new parts list
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless the trans lines are" Rusted to pieces", Just cut out the "broken section" and put in Either a a compression "Coupler" or even a piece of Rubber "Fuel Line" with clamps. (that's what connects the trans Line to the transmission), the trans line has Very Little pressure in it. Why pay for what you don't need ?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You must, repeat, must use hose rated for transmission fluid. Other types of hose (including fuel line) will be attacked by the trans fluid and quickly fail.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can patch it, but if it is anything like mine, it blew another hole. Just replace the lines where possible and use rubber hoses to connect. Just buy brake line (coated stuff that doesn't need a bending tube). Also flare the ends of the lines a little with a screwdriver so the hose has something to grip when clamped down.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a good plan. I'll run to the parts depot and grab some rubber line that will hold up to the trans fluid. I noticed Autozone had a hose rated for this application in stock near me. foe $1.29/ft its a much cheaper route than replacing the entire set of lines at the moment. I plan to double clamp these as well as put a small flare on the ends. Hopefully it doesn't incur another hole. But I'll buy plenty of hose and clamps just in case. If it gets too bad I'll just replace the entire thing.

With that said, any idea what size hose I would need off hand?

Also, on a side note.... What would happen, for instance, someone had the trans cooler lines hooked up to the transmission in reverse order. After looking at some diagrams I found that the long "sweeping" hose connected to the bottom line coming off the transmission. However, my lines were on the opposite... with that same long "sweeping" line going to the top. I double checked at the metal lines as well. In the diagram the line with the upside down "U" shape in it went to the top, and on mine this is hooked up to the bottom. What kind of issue could this have caused if not caught?

Also my dragging brake was due to a collapsed rubber brake hose. Ordering that tomorrow to replace. Thanks guys.

~James
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Size is 5/16.

Keep the loop in the hose (near the tranny) as it keeps the torque converter from emptying when the car is sitting, it makes no difference which line is routed to the top or bottom.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EvilSqueezles:

Also my dragging brake was due to a collapsed rubber brake hose. Ordering that tomorrow to replace. Thanks guys.

~James

Check the bracket that holds the hose. This bracket rusts and swells the rubber hose shut. I had this happen on my Fiero. Easy fix, loosen the crimp around the hose and flex the hose. When you get a chance, then replace the hose.

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hooking them up "backwards" will do no harm. The trans lines Literally "Just go from the trans to the radiator and back", it's a "LOOP". Inside the radiator tank, it goes in, through a" sealed Tube" then back out again. Makes no difference.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picked up some 5/16 teams cooler hose and a new brake hose today. It was pretty rusted when I took that chassis to Jose connection apart bit not so much that it would swell anything. Even after disconnecting into couldn't get any air through it. Gonna replace that hose, finish slipping my exhaust together and I'll let y'all know if it fixed my brake problem. As far as the trans lines, I won't get to them until this weekend. Thanks guys.

~James
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock