Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Switches (connectors) on back side if HR6 A/C Compressor, any p/n or sources

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Switches (connectors) on back side if HR6 A/C Compressor, any p/n or sources by hdryder
Started on: 08-04-2013 06:42 PM
Replies: 6 (601 views)
Last post by: 2camsam on 08-24-2013 12:34 AM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a HR6 A/C Compressor from Four Seasons, but the back side has plugs with no electrical switches. You have to use the switches off the old compressor.
After removing the snap rings, I was able to get the Red one loose and off, but the White one I could not get loose, even after soaking for several days. The white plastic finally broke, as I am sure it will get brittle over 26 years.

Does anyone have the part number for these and a source?

I will check the GM stealership tomorrow, but I was hoping there may be other sources also.
I will also give Four Seasons a call tomorrow, to see if they know where to get them.

Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 08-04-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The things that fit on these two?

The mushroom one is a standard weatherpack connector.

http://www.repairconnector....nsor-repair-pigtail/

Not sure on the red one. I do have that connector used however

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/117640.html
SD455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SD455Send a Private Message to SD455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got through installing a new HR6 as well, and had the same problem. If you have both parts of the broken switch - mine was the white switch too, a good cleaning with some brake cleaner on both surfaces, and then Krazy Glue fixed the switch. I was highly sceptical that this would hold, but tried twisting & prying against the broken section would not break it back loose. Since this is not a load bearing part - no need to think that it will fail anytime soon. It was the very top large O/D piece of the switch - where the connector actually snaps on that broke on mine. If this is the case with yours, just make sure that the pieces are glued back in the exact location they broke.
I could not find anybody in the aftermarket jobbers that carried a replacement for this.

Good luck!

------------------
JCO
"I Drive Excitement!"
'68 Firebird 400/4spd
'74 T/A SD 455/Auto
'88 GT/5spd, T/Top
'03 Vibe AWD
'03 Vibe 5spd

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it is the White low pressure switch that broke when I was trying to remove it from the old compressor.
I was going to glue it, but I have not been able to remove it from the old compressor yet. I have a second old compressor that I will try to take it from. Otherwise I may have to use the new replacement switches that are no longer grounded through the compressor body.

Information below was provided by RWDPLZ in his "AC Compressor Switches" write-up at link on bottom of thread.

(NEW) Part Numbers:

All are Santech brand unless otherwise noted

Low pressure switch: MT0500
Low pressure switch connector: MT0135
Low pressure switch kit: MT0671

High pressure switch: MT0447
High pressure switch connector: MT0136
High pressure switch kit: MT0678

Switch O-rings: AC Delco part # 15-30999

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/117640.html
SD455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SD455Send a Private Message to SD455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, if you haven't gotten it removed yet, you can do the following. This method came back to me from my old Pontiac days., but nt until after I had already tried the old needle-nosed plies :/
If you have access to compressed air, use an air nozzle with a rubber tip and place it into the port where the hose manifold bolted up (RH Upper), it's the one with the small opening into the compressor. Use your thumb, or if you have someone to help - there thumb to plug off the LH Lower side - this is after you have installed the blak plug/ & snap ring into the port you were able to remove the other switch from. Clean around the switch very good to remive any crud if you haven't already, and make sure the snap ring is removed. Place a rag over the switch to pad against it when you apply pressure (it may take a couple of long applies, and you may have to push the switch back down a time or two, but the air will push the switch up & out.
Note: Be very careful when doing this, as the switch will become a projectile if not controlled/caught in rag. Wear a pair of safety glasses too - you only get one set of eyes.

Still cheaper than buying replacement

...and thanks for the P/N's

------------------
JCO
"I Drive Excitement!"
'68 Firebird 400/4spd
'74 T/A SD 455/Auto
'88 GT/5spd, T/Top
'03 Vibe AWD
'03 Vibe 5spd

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the new reman. HR6 compressor, new O-tube and new Accumulater. I removed the two plugs on the back of the compressor, and installed the two switches (Red & White) from my old compressor. I evac'ed the system and left under vacuum and tried to charge with one can of r134a. It would not take much of the can, as the compressor will not go on. The old compressor did run after charging it, but was making a very load screeching noise from the clutch, I decided to replace the whole compressor.
I tried jumping the connector at the accumulater, and also the Red switch connector at the back side of the compressor, but could not get the compressor to run yet with those jumpers. The Heater A/C fuse is good, and the radiator fan turns on when the A/C is turned on.

Any ideas for trouble shooting?

Thanks for the help.
2camsam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2camsamSend a Private Message to 2camsamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly the same problem I'm having-

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129867.html

Anyone know how to fix this?

[This message has been edited by 2camsam (edited 08-24-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay