Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  BANG!!!!!Throwout bearing or something else?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
BANG!!!!!Throwout bearing or something else? by redhammer
Started on: 08-04-2013 04:43 PM
Replies: 12 (252 views)
Last post by: redhammer on 08-07-2013 12:18 PM
redhammer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car is a diablo replica with V8 small block Chevy. I believe I have a v8 Archie kit, centerforce clutch and 5 speed fiero transmission.
For the post couple times I drive it I noticed some noise coming from the rear when the clutch pedal is not depressed. Car was driving fine otherwise. But today I took it out for a spin, I was in second gear 3k RPM when I heard BANG sound, and loud grinding noise, like something is scraping on the clutch, car would barely move. I pulled on the side and had it towed home.Seems It's shifting fine with clutch depressed but it won't move and it grinds like crazy every time I let go off the clutch.
Any idea what could it be and what does it need done?
Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds to me like you broke the hub loose on the clutch plate.....or maybe lost a spring and it is jammed.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Carefully remove the VSS to see if the gear or shaft has detached. Could be that they did and got caught up in the transmission gears.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redhammer:

... 5 speed fiero transmission.

Getrag?

You might wish to check out This.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sort of doesn't matter what is wrong, you will have to pull it apart to see what is left anyway. Could be the clutch disc came apart some how, but it could have damaged lots of other things in there. Larry
redhammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think first thing tomorrow I will have it towed to a shop, I know most shops will refuse to work on it being a custom replica car.
redhammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

redhammer

22 posts
Member since Nov 2010
Any recommendations for a shop in Chicago, northern suburbs?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie isn't that far away.
redhammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what happened, Centerforce I ordered the a new clutch DF201502, got the part numbers from V8Archie ,he said he is not using the centeforce clutches any more and my mechanic said it was not suitable for street use. What are your thoughts?

trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No way that should have failed like that, I am really starting to think that lots of these "performance clutches" aren't very well engineered, there have been plenty of failed ones posted here for sure. Was some prt of the flywheel or pressure plate hitting it where it shouldn't? Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 08-06-2013).]

redhammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what happened, both solid engine mounts were snapped off at the bolt, I wonder if that contribute in any way?
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure your transmission didn't suddenly seize internally and possibly cause all this? Can you turn your input shaft?
redhammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redhammerSend a Private Message to redhammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is at the shop, they didn't mention anything about the transmission. I hope that is not the case.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock