Dash "Brake" light stays on after hitting bump by Gohabs93
Started on: 08-04-2013 12:14 AM
Replies: 8 (1445 views)
Last post by: Gohabs93 on 08-06-2013 10:54 PM
Gohabs93

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I adjusted recently my ebrake cables and tightened to the max . I have the driven the car for some time with no issue. But today after going over a speed bump, the light went on. When I release the ebrake lever it goes off for a split second then goes back on. If I go under the car and pull ebrake cables, it goes off. Do I need to loosen up the cables or is it the lever switch? Is it safe to drive?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there is a small switch at the e-brake handle beside the seat that needs adjusted.... should be fine to drive as long as it did not engauge the brake when you hit the bump..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 08-04-2013).]

Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so it's definitely the switch, no readjusting needed?
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah the switch at the handle or low fluid be only reason for brake light to come on, so no need to readjust the e-brake itself just the little switch at the handle.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I will check the handle, can't be the fluid because it was changed a month ago.

Thanks!
Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of what makes my light go off once hand brake is released (If I dont push the metal thing light stays on)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mh495uqarlk0mgx/Hand%20brake.jpg

What do I have to adust, is it the bold on the upper left?

Thank you

[This message has been edited by Gohabs93 (edited 08-06-2013).]

Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gohabs93

86 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Anyone :P ?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't able to view your picture so I added one of my own. There are two copper tangs that come out of the micro-switch such that, when they touch each other, the light goes on. When the E-brake is released, there's a cam that rotates in such a way that it lifts one of the tangs and breaks the circuit, turning off the light.

If I recall correctly, the micro-switch is adjustable by first making sure the e-brake handle is in the fully released position (not just in the down position), then, loosen the one screw shown in the photo that holds the switch assembly and rotate the switch housing until the curved copper tang presses against the cam and the light goes out. Hold the switch in that position while tightening the screw and that should fix the problem.
Gohabs93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gohabs93Send a Private Message to Gohabs93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fixed the link in my other post.... I pushed down and the switch towards the cam so that the light goes off and when I tighten to the light comes back one when I remove my thumb. It`s so hard to work with so little place. I might have to remove the handbrake arm

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock