belt squeal help for a novice by JT.86FieroGT
Started on: 08-03-2013 08:02 PM
Replies: 11 (476 views)
Last post by: Fiero84Freak on 08-08-2013 12:31 PM
JT.86FieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heres the thing... ive owned a 86 fiero V6 for about a month and when i got it the belt would squeal for a few seconds whenever i start it. Sometimes it wouldn't be very bad but other times it would last 10 seconds or longer. I've read some other posts on here about having to replace and tighten the belt with it squealing when the car first starts and after reading them i still don't have a clue about what I'm doing just because I have no experience with this at all.

So to put it bluntly i need someone to dumb down this process and thoroughly explain it..

Also the belt that is on it right now goes around everything but the AC because it needs a new compressor
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check both Rodney Dickman's site for a pulley that causes more surface contact area for the belt and search "dodgerunner" for his spring loaded self adjusting tensioner. If the belt on the car is more than a couple of years old (it is most likely glazed from slipping) replace it with a top quality belt like the Good/year Gatorback and be sure to clean the pulley surface of old dust rubber and trash - If you don't invest in the self adjusting dodgerunner item you can adjust the belt tension the old fashion way by loosening the alternator bolt and applying tension between the alternator and the frame and carefully re-tightening. BE CAREFULL with the alternator bolt and bracket - easily bent, broken or stripped. Rodney also has a alternator bracket brace that is money well spent. Some people have built a device that helps set the belt tension. Check the "cave" and or http://www.fierosails.com/fierosecrets for additional information.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a v5? the problem is the belt contacts minimal surface area on the pulleys--Rodney Dickman and Dodgerunner both sell a tensioner for the belt--it increases the amount of belt contacting the pulley and stopping the squeek

------------------
Pat Jones

BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is would recommend Dodgerunner's tensioner over Rodney's pulley. My car had Rodney's when I bought it. The belt still squeaked in the rain. Yes, it was tight.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JT.86FieroGT:

Also the belt that is on it right now goes around everything but the AC because it needs a new compressor
Thanks

The AC belt is completely different. It is a V belt and AC is all it does. It wouldn't cost much to put a new belt on it to see if the AC will work. Long shot, I know but that's what I was told too and a belt and a shot of R12 got mine going again!

My AC thread:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/125991.html

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

JT.86FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FieroGT TTops:

You have a v5? the problem is the belt contacts minimal surface area on the pulleys--Rodney Dickman and Dodgerunner both sell a tensioner for the belt--it increases the amount of belt contacting the pulley and stopping the squeek

What do you mean by v5?
JT.86FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JT.86FieroGTSend a Private Message to JT.86FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JT.86FieroGT

44 posts
Member since Jul 2013

Originally posted by steve308:

Check both Rodney Dickman's site for a pulley that causes more surface contact area for the belt and search "dodgerunner" for his spring loaded self adjusting tensioner. If the belt on the car is more than a couple of years old (it is most likely glazed from slipping) replace it with a top quality belt like the Good/year Gatorback and be sure to clean the pulley surface of old dust rubber and trash - If you don't invest in the self adjusting dodgerunner item you can adjust the belt tension the old fashion way by loosening the alternator bolt and applying tension between the alternator and the frame and carefully re-tightening. BE CAREFULL with the alternator bolt and bracket - easily bent, broken or stripped. Rodney also has a alternator bracket brace that is money well spent. Some people have built a device that helps set the belt tension. Check the "cave" and or http://www.fierosails.com/fierosecrets for additional information.

Thanks man this a lot of help!
If I was to do it the old fashioned way, would I want to jack up the car and do it from underneath or could I do it from the top?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

Is would recommend Dodgerunner's tensioner...

Dodgerunner's tensioner is the best money you can spend on a 2.8 Fiero... bar none.

I just transferred the unit I have from an '86 GT that I'll be selling to my recently acquired '88 Formula. Some things are worth keeping.

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:
My car had Rodney's when I bought it. The belt still squeaked in the rain. Yes, it was tight.

Keep in mind I have sold easily over 500 of these kits now, many to those on this forum. If they did not work I would, for one, stop selling them and two, many here would be complaining. I don't see that.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go to Napa buy a good belt end of problems.
Damorgan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DamorganSend a Private Message to DamorganEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just my 2 cents... my belt was doing the same and then started getting worse...and worse up until my Fiero was smoking at a red light. I pulled over an sure enough the pulley on my water pump was lose and I was getting the inside of the belt wet which was causing it to slip on the pulley. The way I could tell was the pulley on the water pump was wobbly, you could shake it with your hand and with the vehicle running you could watch it just wobble and leak water onto the belt. I replaced the water pump and all was great again.

Now if it isnt your water pump and you dont want to buy another belt or a tensioner pully (if you havent already) I would take some WD40 or some good penetrating oil and spray the topside of the belt lightly with the vehicle running (for even distribution) take care not to get any on the back side of the belt, it should help condition the belt and bring some life back into it.
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're just wanting to adjust the belt tightness it's seriously not that hard. Somebody who has never touched tools can do it. Jack the rear of the car up. There's a 15mm bolt top side that holds the alternator to the actual bracket (you'll likely need a long extension to loosen it) and there's a smaller 13mm bolt on the adjuster arm of the bracket to account for belt deflection.

If the belt has been squealing then it's potentially glazed it up and the belt is now worn out. Go to a parts store and get a good quality replacement belt like a Gatorback. After you loosen - not remove - the 15mm bolt, loosening the 13mm adjuster bolt will allow the alternator to "slide" backwards along the top side pivot point of the bracket, popping the belt off and allowing you to remove the belt. Put the new belt on there, make sure it's lined up properly, then tighten the 13mm adjuster bolt FIRST, and then the top side 15mm hold down bolt. I usually use a crowbar or cheater-bar to apply pressure back towards the far side of the bottom adjuster while simultaneously tightening the 13mm with my other hand. Then from there go up top and tighten the hold-down.

Be careful not to tighten it too much, as it will wear the pulleys down and potentially reduce the life of your water pump.

The above shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes to do, other than having to go get a new belt.

I have Rodney's idler pulley on my car and it's a good upgrade. Dodgerunner's is good too. Both take the guesswork out of tightening the belt, in addition to adding more surface contact of the belt along the pulleys thus decreasing the overall work the drive system has to do.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock