oil pressure gauge by jon m
Started on: 08-03-2013 12:46 PM
Replies: 8 (323 views)
Last post by: jon m on 08-06-2013 12:20 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi - on my 87gt I have found for a while that the oil pressure gauge needle dances around and I am wondering what causes this and is there a fix.

any opinions are always welcomed

jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil sending unit.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had exact same problem. Time for a new sending unit.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you - I know the fierostore sells them - but does anyone have the ac delco part number - so that I maybe able to cross reference one and get it in the u.k? (trying to avoid paying too much shipping from fierostore)

thanks
jon
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

I know the fierostore sells them - but does anyone have the ac delco part number - so that I maybe able to cross reference one and get it in the u.k?

I would highly recommend switching to the more reliable, less expensive, and more widely available '88 Fiero V6 sender while you're at it. The only down side is that swtching to the '88 sender will also require you to install a different connector. The Rock Auto web site is a good place to look up part numbers like this, even if you aren't planning to buy from them:

'88 Fiero V6 Oil Pressure "Switch": ACDelco #D1808A (GM #12555492, 19244501) $24.79
'88 Oil Pressure Switch Connector Pigtail: ACDelco #PT1951 (GM #88860506) $9.19

'87 Fiero V6: ACDelco/GM #10030963, 10045775 (per ACDelco ... may be discontinued)

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-04-2013).]

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
right - so a 1988 sender will fit an 87? is it just a straight swap with the connectors?

thanks so far
jon
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The oil pressure sender and its connector changed in '88. Everything else remained the same. The threads are the same, etc.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-05-2013).]

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "old style" sending units (the large ones) are pricey even here in the United States, with some stores charging in the neighborhood of $50 USD. They're well over double the price of the '88 sending unit, and the '88 sending unit is much more reliable. They can be found cheaper by looking though.

I'm going to echo above and say I would forgo the time and effort to upgrade the unit with the '88 pigtail. Again not only is doing that cheaper overall, but will give you much better sending unit lifetime and readings.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
right I will do this thanks for the info and saving me some money - maybe this info should be echoed to others on the forum

jon

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock