Shooting flames from exhaust and other issues by meet_my_grandma
Started on: 08-03-2013 12:28 PM
Replies: 11 (296 views)
Last post by: dematrix86gt on 08-05-2013 11:58 PM
meet_my_grandma

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I just made a 4 hour drive in my car and on top of my current problem of idling out and dying when I stop at a stopsign, when Im on the freeway and take my foot off of the gas, I shoot flames.
Great Tailgater deterrant. Also great for possible arsony charges.

This is a 2.8 manual 4 speed. ICM, pickup coil, dist cap and rotor all replaced about 2 years ago.

Speed sensor replaced about a month ago.

Code 24 and 32 come on in mid drive and car starts acting funny, however, it does this even if SES does not come on sometimes.
Code 32 has been on since I bought it.

ALSO

I have a sway in the rear when im driving at freeway speeds. Any help appreciated!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First guess on the flames is that you have a hole in your exhaust somewhere that is large enough to let in enough air to reignite the exhaust. Considering it happens off throttle I would inspect every inch of the exhaust tubing for a hole, which would be large enough to easily see.
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sway in the rear is most likley rear toe. Get the alignment checked.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I thought those women were screming for me,(James Bond Lives)!....If you have a pin hole in your fuel pressure regulator, unburned fuel will enter the exhaust and flame or boom (back fire).You will need a fine pointed punch to tamp down the center pins, unless you can find the correct security tool.
nyjetfan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyjetfanSend a Private Message to nyjetfanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackEmrald:

Sway in the rear is most likley rear toe. Get the alignment checked.

Second the rear toe. My fiero was erratic on highway above 50mph, and I straightened my rear toe (I had almost 1/2" toe out based on my readings) and now it seems fine at 65-70 mph, and lane changes are no longer an adventure. Planning to get it to a shop to get a good 4 wheel alignment after seeing what a difference just my "DIY alignment" made.

[This message has been edited by nyjetfan (edited 08-03-2013).]

meet_my_grandma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an alignment about 6 months ago, because I thought that was the issue also. I havent had much highway time so it was hard to realize that issue was still around. About 2 years ago I hit a guardrail and had to replace my control arm and all that stuff.

But also on the flames part, would this be causing backfires also? i had a cracked exhaust manifold that was "repaired" last year (lets not go into how bad carolina speed shop messed up my car), but I feel as if the issue may be back due to a clicking noise on accelleration.

Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

If you have a pin hole in your fuel pressure regulator, unburned fuel will enter the exhaust and flame or boom (back fire).

Please explain exactly how that works ... how a leak in the FPR somehow introduces fuel directly into the exhaust system.

Originally posted by meet_my_grandma:

This is a 2.8 manual 4 speed. ICM, pickup coil, dist cap and rotor all replaced about 2 years ago.

I had an alignment about 6 months ago ...

You haven't told us what year Fiero you have. If an '88, it could be that one of the long bolts that attach the lateral links to the rear knuckle have loosened. This is a common problem with '88s.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 08-04-2013).]

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by meet_my_grandma:

when Im on the freeway and take my foot off of the gas, I shoot flames.
Great Tailgater deterrant. Also great for possible arsony charges.

Ha Ha and you think this is a bad thing? lol Just kidding Rednecks around here pay alot of money to put ignitors on their pipes and a bottle of propane tucked away with a NO2 solenoid wired in. As far as Tailgaters? theres a 20ft margin of safety/Fun .
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now you tell me you wouldnt wanna do this in rush hour traffic and that car just wont get off your butt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1xi_iLLci4
Ok this next one is just insane!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY17-wYBZoU

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 08-04-2013).]

meet_my_grandma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for meet_my_grandmaSend a Private Message to meet_my_grandmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86. And just broke down from overheating at the bar. Eh.
PFF
System Bot
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was your fan not working or low on water? I use the std front fan but also another one underneath pushing its thermo activated . also attached under the Hatch vents im installing 2 10 inch fans that are also thermo activated from inside the engine bay so i can purge the engine bay at a set temperature.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock