Fan Switch Problem by BAM-BAM
Started on: 08-03-2013 10:40 AM
Replies: 4 (449 views)
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 08-18-2013 11:15 AM
BAM-BAM

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having an issue with my fan switch not turning on. A little back ground first: 1986 GT 3.4L. In the vegas heat, as long as I keep moving my car runs well below 200 (according to the gauge) . As soon as i encounter traffic slow down, it starts to heat up and moves right up the scale. I just had to replace the radiator due to a severe heat day and an accident on the freeway (POP). First thing I noticed is the fan was not on. I removed the connector on the fan switch and shorted the lead and the fan came on. I replaced the switch and the rad and it started to over heat the very next day; no fan. The only thing I can think of is either the new switch is also bad, or teflon tape is not allowing the switch to ground out. Any help is appreciated.

Peace!!
B2

------------------
Peace!!

B2 OUT!!
86GT 3.4LProject

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do hear the guys on this site saying to avoid teflon tape for that very reason ....most of the components like that come new with a type of sealant that doesn't prevent the electrical connection. I would spin the switch back out and get rid of that tape. Also you might want to go with a lower temp switch and get that fan spinning sooner since you are in such a hot area (if you haven't already)

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 08-03-2013).]

BAM-BAM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep,that is what I thought. After pulling the old one out and then reading the description on how the circuit works, I had that same thought. I will try removing the teflon and see if that is the culprit. Thank you!!

Peace!!
B2
BAM-BAM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently, that was the issue. However, as I was removing the old switch, it twisted in half leaving me to believe that there were other issues with it as well. The new switch was installed sans teflon and using a small amount of non hardening permatex on the upper half of the threads. This method was successful. All is working as it should. I appreciate the advice and assistance.

Peace!!
B2
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2013 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fan kicks on at 220 degrees,but because you live in vegas Ide install a manual fan switch. Find the Green wire with the white stripe at the fan relay, under the drivers head light. Buy some wire and and a 12v switch, one end of your new wire is patched into the green wire with the whie stripe,do not cut the green and white wire in half, patch into it, the other end of your new switch wireing goes to ground. You can now turn on the fan when ever you want. When your new switch is in the off position, your fan will function normally as befor.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock