New coils, won't stay running by stefanosg
Started on: 08-03-2013 10:29 AM
Replies: 6 (334 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 08-03-2013 09:17 PM
stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the coils in my 88 with new ones. The car starts fine, but won't run for but a few seconds. MSD coils btw.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have answered my own question. I did some poking around and found several negative threads about the MSD coils. So unless I missed something during installation, its back to the originals.
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could also be ignition module - try changing back to your old ignition coil if this cures it then its the msd coil if it does'nt then I'd go for the module at fault

jon
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to wait till tomorrow morning to put the old ones back, but a storm is blowing through and its cooled off a lot. So, I put the old ones back in and she fired right up and stayed running. So, the MSD's are going back.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The MSD's draw more current on the primary side, so they are probably just overloading your stock system that supplies them. You won't gain anything with them any way, so you are money ahead. Larry
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only good that MSD stuff is for is to look pretty on a shelf.

If you do get new coils, keep the better (i.e. "working" one) of your old coils as a back-up. That way if in the future say you've accumulated some miles, you're driving, and have similar issues with a coil you can at least swap it out to get you by.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try the MSD Streetfire coil, it is a OEM style replacement. One has worked fine on our 2.8L V-6 with a AC module and AC distributor coil for the last 3 years. Yep, it also looks good. Cost about $30.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock