custom dash by goatvenom
Started on: 08-02-2013 06:38 PM
Replies: 3 (521 views)
Last post by: Khw on 08-02-2013 08:51 PM
goatvenom

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering why no one has done a wire frame for there dash and pulled some heavy flease over it and and used string to make a custom curve or design and once they had a design laid out for the dash take some fiberglass resin and spread it ove rit and make the flease hard and stiff like they do for custom truck bumpers, once yo have the hardened flease form sand it down and put some bondo glaze on it and smooth it even more and cover or paint it.

i seen this method on powerblock tv for custom bumpers and i thought i would work amazing if you built a nice wire frame and to make softer curves put padding under the flease over the wires to make it flow better, this way you can make any design you wanted.

i was thinking about using my cracked up dash for the form against the windshield and that way you don't have to make mounting points but yo can if you want, the way i was thinking would be removable and easy to work on but yet formed around the driver for better ergonomics and controls but making it one of a kind and visually striking with out being tacky at the same time.

overall i think it would be relatively cheap and not to time consuming , depending on the complexity.

anyone have any insight to as of why this ideal wouldn't work or any ways to improve it would be welcome.

Ryan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The real issue is getting a nice finish. It isn't easy. You want a leatherette type of surface normally, not slick and shiny, and getting the texture right is tough.

There is a Firebird dash that is close and has been used.

Arn
goatvenom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatvenomSend a Private Message to goatvenomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i know the finish needs to be smooth, if i did this i would cover the dash in some sort of material prior to final install and make it look like my dreams.

i wanted to make a completely custom dash i didn't want to follow the same lines or curves of the firebird dash i wanted to relocate the radio so it was in a different spot and change alot of things aswell, i know it will take time to build a frame but if done correctly it would like tastefull and exotic

Ryan
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been done. Maybe not with a wire frame but what you use to stretch the cloth over really doesn't matter. Wire or wood, the end result is the same. Most custom dashes that are made to emulate a Ferrari or Lamborghini dash are done that way. Some have had molds pulled and parts made from the molds are for sale. Problem is it's a pretty dirty process and not as easy as a tv show makes it look. I've made sub enclosures that way and that is time consuming and difficult enough.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock