ARE they Different ? 3800sc by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 08-02-2013 01:40 PM
Replies: 11 (233 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 08-04-2013 01:59 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been searching through "parts vendors Sites" for Head Gaskets for 1997 Buick 3800SC. I've seen prices from $25 each to $80 each. Question is, Are the SC Gaskets "Different" from the NA Gaskets ? the bocks are the same, the head "pattern" is the same, I have them sitting 1 on top of the other (original GM gaskets) and I see no difference. * Are they Made of a "Different MATERIAL" ??* There are different part #s, some say "Left/Right", some just say "2 Needed". Advanced says 1 thing, Autozone another, Summit something else. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Squeaky

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SqueakySend a Private Message to SqueakyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my experience dealing with online vendor's there's seems to be no rhyme or reason for the prices that some charge compared to others. If dimensionally the gaskets look the same one on top of the other then I'd just get a cheap pair.
Their gaskets, cheap or pricey their only purpose is to create a seal. As long as thats acheived you should be good. I couldn't see why the 3800SC would use different gaskets, perhaps the S/C ones are made of a different material because of the higher compression but I'm not 100% sure.
I would only suggest spending more $$$ on higher quality gaskets if your running headers. A buddy of mine has a 385 Stroker in his 88' GTA and the header bolts over time like to loosen a bit, his gaskets seal while also holding his bolts more snuggly because of slightly undersized bolt holes.

Good luck in your search!
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not Altered , just bone stock SC. But why would GM have 2 different part #s? can the NA gaskets not withstand the higher comp ?
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just go ahead and get the proper s/c ones from gm and call it good.
Squeaky

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SqueakySend a Private Message to SqueakyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroaddicted:

I would just go ahead and get the proper s/c ones from gm and call it good.

^Ditto

Pilot Abileen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pilot AbileenSend a Private Message to Pilot AbileenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fel-Pro Part Number# 9089PT
$24.99each @ O'Reilly Auto
2 will be required no difference in design

Fel-Pro Part Number# 9917PT is left hand
Fel-Pro Part Number# 9918PT is right hand
$17.99each @ O'Reilly Auto
1 each is required as there are small differences

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I can get the left/right at that price, that's great. I don't think the arrow is a "coolan"t passage, I'm pretty sure theres no hole in either the head or block at that location. Could be wrong, it's happened before LOL. Thanks, I'll try O'reilly's.
Pilot Abileen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pilot AbileenSend a Private Message to Pilot AbileenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah its not a coolant passage... lol
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep, the Arrow Is just an arrow. doesn't DO anything.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems I'm going to be a 1st time buyer at O'reilly's. thanks
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
I don't know whats up ! these part #s (9917pt & 9918pt) say they won't fit either a 1997 0r 1998 buick 3800SC !
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the #s for left and right and will compare them to the orig GM gaskets I took off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock