flywheel at RockAuto by Bruce
Started on: 08-02-2013 11:52 AM
Replies: 6 (256 views)
Last post by: Bruce on 08-02-2013 06:50 PM
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just received some clarification about the Sachs flywheel listed for Fieros: It's only compatible with models built before May 1986. The description says, "from 86," which, to me, is a little confusing.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But we would all know that this can't be true, the change happened in 1988. Larry
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I thought, based on what I've read here. I'd just hate to have someone buy the wrong flywheel, particularly with the labor needed to install it. And then, literally, all hell breaks loose.
Caveat Emptor
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No matter what they tell you, you cannot believe it, one thing you will know is that it likely fits either a 2.8 that is internally ballanced or a 2.8 that is externally ballanced. I would look at the part number and see if it is listed as fitting one of the 2.2's they take the same as a netral ballanced 2.8, I know I have one. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 08-02-2013).]

MarkS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No personal experience but everything I've read here says the Sachs NFW1006 is a train wreck for 87 and older externally balanced V6's. Rock lists the same Sachs p/n NFW1006 for the 88 which can't be. Honestly, I think the problem is with the Sachs app data.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

That's what I thought, based on what I've read here. I'd just hate to have someone buy the wrong flywheel, particularly with the labor needed to install it. And then, literally, all hell breaks loose.
Caveat Emptor

Bruce, what year is your Fiero?

Neil

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 GT.
I am still pretty confused about flywheels. My understanding is that my year requires counterweights on the flywheel to account for the imbalance of the crankshaft. The 88s are said to be internally or neutrally balanced, so the flywheel doesn't have the weights.
I was feeling pretty crafty when I purchased 2 Beck Arnley flywheels which, according to RockAuto, were applicable to the 86. As I read posts on this forum, I found out that it wouldn't work without some modification(s).
Am I off base, or is my information correct?
Thanks!
bb

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock