What year Grand Am? by EvilSqueezles
Started on: 08-01-2013 10:36 PM
Replies: 20 (473 views)
Last post by: EvilSqueezles on 08-03-2013 09:34 PM
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From reading posts. I think I'm right in saying that the front Grand Am brakes swap right into the Rear of the 84-87 Fieros. All my brakes need replace so I was gonna go ahead and do this while I'm at it.

Couple questions. How much of a difference does this upgrade make? I'm sure its better since the Fiero brakes are...... lack luster....

What year Grand Am do I get the calipers, rotors, and pads off of?

And while I'm at it..... what all doe it take to put the same setup on the front? I believe I'm correct in saying that I need to turn down the front rotors, and turn down the concentric area to fit the grand am rotors onto the new hubs.

Main concern is the rear though at the moment because one of my calipers is shot and I'd rather just switch them out now. Really dont wanna change just one rear caliper, I prefer to do things in pairs.

Thanks.

~James
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered front rotors, calipers, and pads from AutoZone for an 86 Grand Am with the 3.0 V6.

The rear made a huge difference for me, but my old calipers were seized, so even stock replacements would have been a huge difference. The fronts were less noticeable, but I also did those over the winter months so it had been a long time of not driving the car. Harder to tell the difference that way.

You are correct about the extra machining work needed for the front, plus you'll need longer wheel studs pressed in to accommodate the extra thickness of the Grand Am rotors, and the caliper bracket also needs some grinding to clear the rotor.

[This message has been edited by Silicoan86 (edited 08-01-2013).]

EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont need the mounting brackets to do the rear do I? Just uses the stock ones currently on the car? Just gonna do new rotors and Good quality pads on stock Fiero stuff for now for the front. Upgrade the rear to the GA's. Thanks again.
Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by EvilSqueezles:

I dont need the mounting brackets to do the rear do I? Just uses the stock ones currently on the car? Just gonna do new rotors and Good quality pads on stock Fiero stuff for now for the front. Upgrade the rear to the GA's. Thanks again.

That's correct. The rears are a direct bolt in (with the exception of the parking brake no longer being useable of course).

Just to be clear - the fronts don't need any custom mounting brackets either, just a little grinding to clear the rotor.
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You just need the rotors & calipers off the Grand Am

The rears are a bolt an affair you just use GrandAm rotors, pads & calapiers (less the parking brake delete because front grandam calipers)

The fronts require a little grinding on the spindle with an angle grinder (obvious once you have the Grand Am rotors on the cut down fiero hubs, all you need is some clearance for the rotor to clear)

Both ends use the GrandAm calipers on Fiero Brackets

Edit: Holy Same post batman LOL

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 08-01-2013).]

Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:
Edit: Holy Same post batman LOL

LOL the similarities are uncanny.

Here's an old, but good, how-to.

[This message has been edited by Silicoan86 (edited 08-01-2013).]

EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thanks guys. You made me feel like I at least did MOST of my research right lol.

~James

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody ever tdo a test to see how much is gained by the brake upgrade?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From reading posts. I think I'm right in saying that the front Grand Am brakes swap right into the Rear of the 84-87 Fieros.

Yeah - but I didn't see anyone mention that you won't have any rear E-brakes.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A good set of rebuilt fiero calipers (and working e-brake) will get the fiero back to normal. Grand Am brakes are fine, they work, but you will lose your e-brake (which may or may not be a problem).

I have never had an issue with the Fiero brakes, as long as the braking system was in proper working condition. Worn/old parts will reduce braking on any car.

BTW, I could lock up the brakes on my '84 (not that you want to, but I could, and it would stay straight and not spin out).

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 08-02-2013).]

Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:
(with the exception of the parking brake no longer being useable of course).

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:
(less the parking brake delete because front grandam calipers)

Originally posted by fierosound:
Yeah - but I didn't see anyone mention that you won't have any rear E-brakes.

Is there an echo in here?
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, you might want to check if it's something they check the functionality of if you have a safety inspection in your state. It would suck to go through doing the swap and then not be able to register the vehicle because it has no e-brake.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

A good set of rebuilt fiero calipers (and working e-brake) will get the fiero back to normal.

Agreed. I wanted to keep everything "original" on my Indy.

I installed all new parts with Porterfield brake pads. Great stopping power with them - never had a "not enough brake" feeling with them yet.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15145 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

Is there an echo in here?

It was early morning here - brain not awake yet.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-02-2013).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, you might want to check if it's something they check the functionality of if you have a safety inspection in your state. It would suck to go through doing the swap and then not be able to register the vehicle because it has no e-brake.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not just upgrade the rears, there is a good chance you will spin in the rain due to the rears locking up prematurely. The rear calipers will impart more clamping force to the rotor at stock pressures than the front calipers and it is enough to cause rear lockup before the fronts lock. I bought 4 calipers from an 87 grand-am from rock auto along with a new blazer master cylinder, heavy duty rotors, performance friction brake pads, and I bought machined hubs with new lugs pressed in by fieroguru (175) shipped. I think the calipers were 18 bucks a piece, the rotors were 21, pads were $100 total because I bought nice pads. You could do the whole swap decently inexpensively. I do not recommend only upgrading the rear.

PS I am still trying to figure out a parking brake solution
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen alot of people only doing the rear and just putting high quality front pads on. Never seen anyone complain about the rears having issues. I don't understand why it would do any harm, not really increasing brake surface to pad ratio... I thought this was mainly for brake fade. My future plans include the front being done as well. But since I'm in a bit of a hurry to get this car road worthy, I'm only replacing the rear calipers and just don't want to put stock back on when the GA's are cheaper and a bit better.

And I don't have an inspection to worry about so that parts all good.

~Jamee
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You really do want your brakes balanced. It helps to have the same or close piston size on your caliper.

Arn's ebrake conversion thread

If you are selling your car in most jurisdictions, you'll want the ebrake. It helps on hillsides too.

The big brake booster helps allot.

I just can't buy that doing half the job gets er done properly. I like my GrandAm/Seville setup. I can stand on the brake pedal and it doesn't lock up, slide or shimmy, it just stops on its nose.

Arn

------------------

Silicoan86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... I thought this was mainly for brake fade. My future plans include the front being done as well. But since I'm in a bit of a hurry to get this car road worthy, I'm only replacing the rear calipers and just don't want to put stock back on when the GA's are cheaper and a bit better.

This is what I did. Wanted to get the car road worthy so I only did the rears last year until I could source the modified front hubs. Then I did the fronts at the start of this year. Yes it's best to have them properly balanced front to rear, but in reality the difference isn't that big. You'll be fine.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Grand Am upgrade on the rear only, due to a failure of the 'parking brake'.

In Michigan, most cars do not have working 'parking brakes' because of rust.
Most people just cut the cables out so the 'parking brake' does not lock up from kids
messing around in the car.

I have no problems with wet or dry driving with just the rear upgrade, and I have not
driven my Fiero in the snow since my first Fiero was so badly rusted, the only thing
holding the seats in was the carpet.

Some day, I suspect car manufacturers may design a parking brake that relies on
something better than bicycle technology.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No intentions on ever selling the car. Only plan to keep making it better. As I said, I will be doing the fronts too. Would have done them now, but I'm in the middle of a fight with my insurance company due to an electrical fire in our house. I went ahead and bought the rear brake setup before I knew, and now until this is settle I have to wait to buy the stuff to do the front. I had a fiero in high school that only had the rears and i never had Any issues with it. As far as steep hills, we don't have any around where I live. No inspections to speak of either. I understand that brake bias should stay the same but the difference in bore size is pretty minimal on this swap, but I get what you're all saying. Anywho, the rears are done. The old rears were pretty locked up and one of the stock calipers fell apart when i had it loosened up. Was time for something thanks guys.

~James

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 08-03-2013).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay