belt install problem; 87 duke by Macarchie
Started on: 08-01-2013 07:22 PM
Replies: 10 (174 views)
Last post by: theogre on 08-03-2013 01:17 AM
Macarchie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what am I doing wrong??? I took off the serpentine belt with no problem. Removed and replaced the AC compressor. Figured I would replace the belt at the same time. Compared the new and old belts; they were identical (i.e. exact same length). Now the new one will not go on.

I fit the belt on the water pump, crank, compressor and alternator. then I put the 15mm socket on it and turn counterclockwise until it stops and the belt will still not slip onto the tensioner. What am I missing here???

- Jimmy

------------------
1987 coupe; Blue; 2.5L; 5spd

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the new AC compressor have the same size pulley as teh old one? Even a tiny bit of difference can hurt you. Larry
Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep... they're the same. I measured them.

------------------

tuggajb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuggajbSend a Private Message to tuggajbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds as if you have routing wrong
Check if matches label on inner fender well
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your new belt may not be EXACTLY the same size as the old one. Belts from different manufacturers that are supposed the be the "right size" sometimes aren't. Try one 1/2" longer than spec, of the same brand as the new one you have.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my '87 Duke, the tensioner has a clockwise arrow on it. To slip the belt over the tensioner I rotate it clockwise using a 15mm socket on the bolt head, not counter-clockwise.
Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thanks for the feedback...

I checked the routing (on mine the diagram is under the decklid.)

My next step is to see if the old belt will go back on. If it doesn't then something else has changed. Since I didn't remove any other components, it should go right back on.

You're right, my bad - Clockwise. I was standing underneath the car with a pull bar on the tensioner. I am turning the tensioner the same direction as the arrow. I have tried to put this belt on from underneath the car and from above (while standing on the lift). I can rotate the tensioner almost 45 degrees which shifts the wheel over an inch. You would think this would be enough.

As you know, there is not much room to play in there, I wonder if the belt may be hanging up on something.

Time to get dirty again.

Thanks, Jimmy

------------------

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
make sure the belt is on the pulleys correctly (does the new compressor have the correct pulley?). If the belt isn't fitting into the grooves (ribs), it may not fit.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Count the ribs on your new compressor pulley. I once got an alternator for my 88 duke that looked right, but it had a 5-rib pulley on it, not the required 6-rib pulley.
Macarchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacarchieSend a Private Message to MacarchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Done.

I compared the two belts again and the old belt is about 1/2 longer. The old belt (which is still in very good shape) went right on with no problem. I realize how important the right size is. I'll be taking the new belt back to Autozone.

In the last two hours, I have re-installed the starter and exhaust system. Hope to get it running shortly.

Thanks for all the comments.

- Jimmy

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do Not force any belt on auto-tension setup! You will wreck the tensioner.
See my Cave, Serpent Belt

Ignore part# list. Use current catalog as a start point. Most makers change the "rubber" and might change their catalog #...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock