Burning up Alternators? by undertakingyou
Started on: 08-01-2013 12:57 PM
Replies: 27 (387 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 08-04-2013 12:33 PM
undertakingyou

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently rebuilt my 2.8L in an attempt to help it pass local emission standards. Just before the rebuild I replaced the alternator with one from AutoZone. Seemed to work fine, but I didn't drive it a lot after the replacement. Maybe 35 more miles. I am now tuning everything from after the rebuild. At about 110 miles on the new motor the alternator completely failed, and I got a warranty replacement from AutoZone, which I installed last night. This morning I drive into work and when I get here instead of a nice 16 on the volt meter in the car I am at 14. I will check again at lunch or something, when the car cools down, but has anyone else had this with burning through alternators?

My previous 86 GT didn't ever have an alternator issue, and always got great power.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
16 on the gage is quite a bit.......
undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

16 on the gage is quite a bit.......

Maybe part of the issue is that I don't know the gauge. 13 Volts is straight up and down. At the far left, beyond the, red is 8. The far right, beyond the red, is 18. There is a line just before the red on the right and that is where it normally rides (in my 86 GT and this morning in my 87 GT). Am I way off here?
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock fiero volt gauge is know for its inaccuracy. The only thing I use my stock volt gauge is for is a reference. You should check the actual voltage with a good multi-meter. The voltage at idle with no electrical accessories running should be between 14.1-14.4 Have you had your battery load tested? If your battery is no good that will kill a alternator quick. The alternator is not designed to be the sole source of power for the car. Its only meant to top off the battery and keep it charged.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beaten to it. Mere seconds...

Stock gauges are notoriously off. Use a volt meter at the output of the alternator. You want approx. 14.5 volts.

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 08-01-2013).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You don't say what year your 2.8 is, but are you using the factory heatshield on these replacement alternators? If not, maybe you're cooking them.
undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You don't say what year your 2.8 is, but are you using the factory heatshield on these replacement alternators? If not, maybe you're cooking them.

The 2.8 is out of the 87. I don't remember taking a heat shield out of the car when I rebuilt it. And I don't have any parts left over in the garage. What does this heat shield look like?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by undertakingyou:

I don't remember taking a heat shield out of the car when I rebuilt it.

I suspect that means you didn't install one then.

You absolutely need to use an alternator heat shield on '85-'87 Fiero 2.8 engines. Otherwise the extreme heat from the very nearby rear exhaust manifold just cooks 'em.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-01-2013).]

undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I definitely don't have that heat shield. I would have remembered it on the old alternator too. I bet the guy that sold it to me just didn't have it. Having never replaced the alternator in the 86 GT I had I had never seen it (or paid attention to it). Now, the better question, where can I get one of these?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Now, the better question, where can I get one of these?

You can try the Mall here.

I got mine from the wreckers. The whole alternator, including heat shield, and mounting bracket (which often breaks) was $17.95. That's a great price.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-01-2013).]

undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did an inventory check at local wreckers. Not seeing anything. Let me ask you this, it seems like the only difference for the 88 motor is that GM moved the heat shield from the alternator to the manifold itself. I can find that part number and could order that heat shield. Any reason that wouldn't work?
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... it seems like the only difference for the 88 motor is that GM moved the heat shield from the alternator to the manifold itself.

That's not quite correct. The alternator is different as well. Among other things, it has a more efficient built in fan.

You'd be better off to get the proper heat shield for what you have there.
undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anywhere on your heat shield that it shows a part number? Maybe I can get it still.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is there anywhere on your heat shield that it shows a part number?

I'm not taking it off to look for one.
undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not taking it off to look for one.

Well ... Can't blame you. I don't see one in the pictures either. Oh well, worth a shot.
EvilSqueezles

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one that you can have. Is from an 87 GT but is the same heat shield. PM me your address and I'll get it to ya.

~James
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EvilSqueezles

397 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Better yet, pm me you number if you can get texts. I'll send you pictures of how its installed as well if you'd like.

~James
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EvilSqueezles

397 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Info received. Will send this out on Saturday with some other things I have going out. Don't know shipping costs but don't worry about it, I like to help other fiero owners whenever I can.... and lately I havent been much help just full of questions. I'll get you the tracking number this weekend. Take care and stop burning alternators up, we have enough other quirks with our cars :P

~James
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-01-2013 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this place.
undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I love this place.

Amen. I am nearly overwhelmed by the kindness shown here. I don't know why I didn't use the forums more when I owned my last Fiero.

Thanks James!
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anytime. I've had people show me the same kindness here in the past while I had my last Fiero and was still in High School 12 years ago. Although I dont assume thats your situation, lol... I am glad to help.

~James

Edit to add... did you receive my texts?

[This message has been edited by EvilSqueezles (edited 08-01-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know why I didn't use the forums more when I owned my last Fiero.

Thanks James!

Geez, throw me a bone here.
undertakingyou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for undertakingyouSend a Private Message to undertakingyouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Geez, throw me a bone here.

ε>=<3

Bone thrown. Thanks man.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<3 Patrick. Good call on the heat shield.

~James
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks man.

That's all I'm after.

Don't mind me. I'm just feeling sorry for myself because I screwed up my trusty '84 duke. I added shims to the rocker bolts (as per This thread) and suspect I've burned an exhaust valve. <sigh>
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alternator output should be in the 13 to 14 volt range depending on temperature.
Get a voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket, it is usually accurate
enough, and better than the Fiero voltmeter.
With the engine not running the voltage will be 12 volts +/- a volt depending on
how long it has sat.
EvilSqueezles

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EvilSqueezlesSend a Private Message to EvilSqueezlesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
USPS says it should be there Monday. Tracking number is :

9505 5214 4071 3215 0001 12

USPS.com to give her a check in. Hope that fixes your problems. Take care.

~James
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also make sure the fan in the trunk is working. It comes on whenever the rad fan comes on and its purpose is to supply a constant stream of air for cooling purposes of the alt.
Mine used to do the same thing with everything working in order. My solution was to replace it with a different design with a bunch of amps, 220 to be exact!
I don't need that much but that alt has also other upgrades that for what I use my car for it is just perfect.

http://www.powerbastards.co...ducts.asp?cat=135524

Good luck mate!

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 08-04-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock