3800sc XP cam experts chime in by Flux
Started on: 07-30-2013 11:56 PM
Replies: 5 (496 views)
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 08-02-2013 06:14 PM
Flux

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
greets, i have been inactive for a couple months, was going to start my 3800sc project but had to buy a daily driver and save up some money first..... anyways.......

for the 3800sc guys running the xp cam, do you recommend me going 105 and single chain or 130 and double roller chain? what are you guys running on your setups? someone chime in, I am going to purchase the XP cam kit from zzp soon. thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flux:

greets, i have been inactive for a couple months, was going to start my 3800sc project but had to buy a daily driver and save up some money first..... anyways.......

for the 3800sc guys running the xp cam, do you recommend me going 105 and single chain or 130 and double roller chain? what are you guys running on your setups? someone chime in, I am going to purchase the XP cam kit from zzp soon. thanks

I run the XP with 105 springs and stock chain/tensioner. Have been runnjng this setup for 70K miles and will be pulling setup soon to swap in a new stock chain/ tensioner along with new 105 Crow springs. Dont go with CompCam springs as failures have been seen since there plant was relocated.

Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have heard bad things about using the stock chain even on 105 springs and that it stretches/breaks the tensioner. The engine I pulled has 130000 kilometres on it too. Is it a safer bet to go double?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flux:

I have heard bad things about using the stock chain even on 105 springs and that it stretches/breaks the tensioner. The engine I pulled has 130000 kilometres on it too. Is it a safer bet to go double?

I have read more about ppl busting aftermarket chains then stock chains myself. I have not had any issues but cant comment on stretch till I pull my setup to swap springs/chain.
Flux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FluxSend a Private Message to FluxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My understanding is that 130# and higher definitely have to have the double roller timing chain but under that is some what optional. Personally I would go with the double roller chain but have built a few over the years for customers with just a new stock chain and they are still driving around years later.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock