starting 3800sc swap by Grizz54
Started on: 07-30-2013 11:34 PM
Replies: 11 (268 views)
Last post by: DPoppelll on 08-02-2013 10:37 AM
Grizz54

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grizz54Send a Private Message to Grizz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm getting ready to do a 3800sc engine swap into an 85 Fiero. The engine is a series I from a 95 regal. I want to use a manual transmission and would like some input as to what transmissions I can use and what my best choice would be. The car will mainly be used for cruising ( not much over 65 mph) but I might do some solo racing and possibly some road racing (nothing over 110 mph). For solo racing and road racing I will be running a 195/60R14 tire.

If you have some tried and true experience with different trans. ratios, I'd appreciate your advice.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getrag is the best trans. WHY are you using 14" tires ? they don't do "anything" for Handling, & you are limited to what you can do for brake upgrades. Why not 16" or 17" with low profile sidewalls ? I personally don't like "Bigger" than 17" (gets "Hotwheels looking"). just curious
Grizz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Grizz54Send a Private Message to Grizz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a limited amount of solo racing a few years back (most races were 1 1/2 to 2 hrs away) and bought a set of 14" stickies for my 2.8 car. I don't intend to do a whole lot of racing with this one for the same reason, and would rather spend the money on show.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say F23 all the way for the series I

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

Slow6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow6Send a Private Message to Slow6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious. Why did you opt for a series I and not a II or III?
Grizz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Grizz54Send a Private Message to Grizz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the wrecked Rivie, pulled everything I needed and sold the rest. I have $100.00 invested.

I have been searching build threads and am confused on what I need for a flywheel and clutch. Will any year 3800 camaro/firebird flywheel work? Best clutch?
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
96 to last year of that model F body 3800 manual flywheel machined down to .840 or .820 as some like and balanced to match the auto flex plate your series I came with. Dan
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done some research and SPEC makes a clutch for this application I believe you can use there Aluminum flywheel ($$$$$) or Like FieroFlyer said use a 96+ 3800 F-Body flywheel turned down to .8xx" but what I'm not 100% clear on is can you use a 96+ F-Body Pressure plate along with a Clutch disk for the trans you choose to use? If your on a Pick-n-Pull budget that may work, but like I say, I'm not sure.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

Grizz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grizz54Send a Private Message to Grizz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all for the input. I did check into the alum. flywheel. Nice but not really necessary for the main purpose I have for the car. And I'd rather spend the money on other mods. I'll have to check the threads again on the Spec clutches. Seems I read that the Spec 3 didn't hold. Don't know the difference between a 3 and 4.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spec 3 OR Spec 3+ willl hold for the power you put down. Series1 not as powerful as the Series II hp wise.
If the 3 is not holding, there are more mods done than it can handle and should beupgraded to a 3+ or better then.
PFF
System Bot
DPoppelll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPoppelllSend a Private Message to DPoppelllEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a similar swap in the works. whats the big difference between the F23 and the F40 in terms of performance and the ease with which they can be swapped in?
DanP

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock