2.8 aluminum flywheel by Chooko
Started on: 07-30-2013 04:25 PM
Replies: 7 (531 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 07-30-2013 07:57 PM
Chooko

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChookoSend a Private Message to ChookoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been doing a lot of searching the archives on the subject of aluminum flywheels for a 2.8. There are a lot of threads about where to get one, or the theory behind them, but very little in the way of actual experience with them on a fairly stock 2.8 with a Getrag. I already know where to get them, and I understand the theory behind them. What I am looking for is some firsthand experience. I know there are people on this forum who have run an aluminum flywheel on a 2.8. Heck, I'd even like to hear about it if you ran one on a 3.4. So come on guys, lets hear your thoughts. Is the car street able with an aluminum flywheel? Is it difficult to get going? What about reversing out a parking spot? Do you have to rev it ridiculously high to reverse out of a parking spot? Is there vibration, or other problems associated? Would you do it again given the chance? Again, I am not interested in knowing where to find one, or the theory behind why they are better or worse than steel. I want first hand experience. So lets hear about it.

------------------

Joe

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not long ago there was a long thread about them, lots of people had them fall off. Larry
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129350.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

See here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129350.html

If anyone still wishes to install a Fidanza aluminum flywheel after reading that thread, then... good luck.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The purpose of an aluminum flywheel is to reduce the weight of the rotating assembly. The reduced weight allows the engine to rev quicker, which improves throttle response. It also reduces shock loads on the transmission during gear changes. The downside is that you have less inertia to get the car moving from a stop. And if you like to engine brake, the braking effect will be reduced.

That said, I've had an aluminum flywheel on my 3.4 V6 for several years now. To take off from a stop, I usually have to blip the throttle. I don't have to wind it up to 3000 RPM or anything crazy like that, just a tap on the throttle. Also, like I mentioned above, the engine braking effect is reduced. So downshifting to decelerate isn't very effective anymore.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With your 2.8 you will have a somewhat reduced effect from an aluminum flywheel because they require a weight to ballance the crankshaft. So nomatter how light the flywheel is the stock amount of weight will have to be added so it will run smoothe. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 07-30-2013).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

With your 2.8 you will have a somewhat reduced effect from an aluminum flywheel because they require a weight to ballance the crankshaft. So nomatter how light the flywheel is the stock amount of weight will have to be added so it will run smoothe. Larry

Careful now Larry, the 2.8 in '88 Fieros uses a neutrally balanced flywheel.

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Most 2.8's won't get"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock