Auto to Manual Swap Speed sensor Issue by Davez69gto
Started on: 07-29-2013 10:25 PM
Replies: 5 (475 views)
Last post by: Davez69gto on 09-01-2013 09:08 PM
Davez69gto

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Davez69gtoSend a Private Message to Davez69gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently (1-2 years) purchased my 87 fiero. I've had one in the past and was very excited about fixing it up. Well I had my heart set on a 5 speed and ended up with an auto. Thankfully after a few weeks of going to the the junk years every weekend I found a donor car. I believe it was an 86. I took the tranny and all the linkage.

I ended up swapping everything over and oddly enough it wouldn't get into 5th nor reverse. Well I figured I got a dud. I ended up purchasing a muncie 282 on ebay with hopes to swap the parts out. Well I received the new tranny, put both on the table, pulled both of them apart and commenced to play around. I was thinking that I might be able to split the cases, and make a new one then purchase something from rodney's site to use the fwd tranny. I has some issues and took the gear off the fiero's tranny and put it on the other one and vice versa. Well basically I had to tork one of them down and can no longer get it off. So to make a long story short the bold on top of the fiero tranny was too long so i couldn't get into those two gears and I couldn't put the original drive gear in. I had to leave the magnetic speed sensor in the tranny and reassemble it. It works perfectly except I have no clue how fast I'm going.

Does anyone have any information on what I can do to use this magnetic speed sensor from a newer model getrag? I really don't want to pull the tranny out again. I did it 3 times and only want pulling it out to be a last resort.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dave
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the newer one is a 4000PPM unit, it should work.
Are you getting any ECM codes? Check Engine light on?

-Dave
Davez69gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Davez69gtoSend a Private Message to Davez69gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't plugged the new one in since I need to splice wires and didn't want to do that until it was time.

Are you saying that the ecm will accept the signal from the newer magnetic speed sensor? I thought that fiero's was based on a sign wave while the newer ones were pulses since it uses a magnetic sensor?

If this info is correct then I will head over to the junk yard this weekend and find a connector and attach everything.
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It should. It is looking for a 4000PPM (high peak to low peak) signal. My stock speedometer worked with my 2001, 4T65e-HD sender, which is a Hall Effect type sender.
I have since swapped to an after market gauge, but it was working with my original.

The stock system is 4000PPM from VSS to Speedometer. The Speedometer converts the 4000PPM to a 2000PPM (VSS/2) signal for the ECM (and Cruise control).

-Dave

Adding:
If it does not, Dakota Digital makes a signal converter for the job.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 07-30-2013).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is a 93 or 94 for example 282 from a Beretta or some thing it will have the newer style 4000 PPM out put that requires the same buffer circuit the 3800/4T65E guys have to use. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

Davez69gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Davez69gtoSend a Private Message to Davez69gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know it's taken me a while but today I finally got to test what was going on. A few days ago I got tires and an alignment after replacing all the suspension. It rides like a dream. I attached some test leads to the magnetic speed reader and to the input wires and well driving across the lawn it said I was going 20 and before I hit the next driveway it said I was doing 80mph. A few parts were mentioned in reply to my original post. Will any of them work with these symptoms? I found the dakota digital signal converter but don't see how it would help and am not sure what the other guys use that were mentioned in the most recent post.

Edit: Just found this link with an image and hope this is what you are talking about. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128923.html

[This message has been edited by Davez69gto (edited 09-01-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock