Engine dies when turning a sharp corner by ricksmastermix
Started on: 07-29-2013 09:56 PM
Replies: 9 (722 views)
Last post by: mmeyer86gt/gtp on 07-30-2013 10:32 PM
ricksmastermix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is an intermittent problem that never occurred with the stock 2.8, but it happens frequent enough with my 3.4 dohc to be annoying. Any ideas what may be causing this issue? The engine cranks right up when I go to restart.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your fuel pump relay isn't working and you're inadvertently running on the back up circuit that provides power to the fuel pump via the oil pressure sender circuit, then high G turns can cause a temporary drop in oil pressure resulting in your fuel pump cutting out.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something like this cropped up a few months ago with a member and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Could of had a loose armature flopping around in a high "G" turn. Hook up a pressure gauge and check it out. I monitor mine with a gauge mounted on a pillar pod.

Good luck,
Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

ricksmastermix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can hear the fuel pump run as soon as I turn on the ignition before starting the engine. Could the relay still be bad?
ricksmastermix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ricksmastermix

588 posts
Member since Nov 2001
I have a pressure gauge, but it's mounted in the engine bay near the fuel rails. It consistantly reads good pressure, even long after the engine is shut down. Also, i replaced the original pump with a Walbro about 12,000 miles ago.
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem many years ago. The car would die only during sharp right turns. It turned out that some wires were getting jammed inside my steering column and when I turned the wheel far enough to the right it would kill the ignition. Changed columns and the problem was solved.

I was taking a lot of left turns until I figured out the cause - 3 lefts turns equal a right!
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ricksmastermix:
I can hear the fuel pump run as soon as I turn on the ignition before starting the engine. Could the relay still be bad?

Your relay should be fine if the pump runs with the engine off as you say. I'm at a loss other than what Silicoan86 suggested. There is also the large wire bundle coming from C500 that crosses over the pulleys in the engine bay. It is kept from dangling into the belts with a metal bracket with a hoop on the end. You might check to make sure that's all in order and that you don't have the bundle flopping around under G's.

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are plastic baffles in the fuel tank. If they are broken, that could cause a fuel delivery problem under high G forces.
Also, in one of my cars, the strainer came off the fuel pump, it somehow came out of the ring that holds it at the bottom, and it was turned sideways in the tank. As you can imagine, that caused fuel delivery problems.
ricksmastermix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. That gives me an idea or two where to look.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2x for steering column if the ignition selection module in the column moves it might turn the car off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock