Tamco Paint, reviews/opinions by mark1970
Started on: 07-28-2013 12:34 PM
Replies: 9 (4169 views)
Last post by: mark1970 on 11-18-2013 07:46 PM
mark1970

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone used Tamco paint? If so what did you think? Which clear did you use?

http://www.tamcopaint.com/clears.html
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do volume work, you could ask for a sample to try.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't used Tamco Paint but I have used this: http://www.paintforcars.com...mel_paint_kits.html.

I tried the acrylic enamel and the urethane, I like the acrylic enamel it was easier to work with.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stick with name brands, just lower priced ones like R&M, Sherwin-Williams and Ditzler. I wont buy anything from overpriced PPG or Dupont. I painted my plane once with Imron (first catalyzed enamel) because it was supposed to be great. It didnt last any longer or look any better than SW acrylic enamel with catalyst (1/2 the cost). In 3 years the Imron looked like crap. I even spent a month stripping the whole plane to bare aluminum first. Ive heard Nason is good, but never used it myself.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also painted a plane with Imron, it is a pain in the butt, like trying to paint with milk. Larry
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This past summer, I painted my fiero with Nason. It is a sub-company of PPG or DuPont. The paint job came out great except for my 1st time painting mistakes like over buffing in places
mark1970

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have mostly used Amer-Flint and Amer-Flint II acrylic Urethane... and Loved it Last car I shot with it was in 97 and it was always outside never inside and a daily driver, and 12yrs latter when I sold it it looked as good as the day I painted it... and I live in vary sunny and hot Orlando Fl... I have used dupont products and dont care for them, PPG I have used both concept and Omni urethanes and like them though never had them long enough to know how they last..... PPG is pricy... so I think I am going to try some of Tamcos products as a test before starting the paint for the 86 SE as when I do I will need a lot of it... Plan is single srage red followed by 3 coats of Hi solids thane, dry scuff sand 3 more clear etc for a total of 9-10 coats clear... sould look sweet
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I stick with name brands, just lower priced ones like R&M, Sherwin-Williams and Ditzler. I wont buy anything from overpriced PPG or Dupont. I painted my plane once with Imron (first catalyzed enamel) because it was supposed to be great. It didnt last any longer or look any better than SW acrylic enamel with catalyst (1/2 the cost). In 3 years the Imron looked like crap. I even spent a month stripping the whole plane to bare aluminum first. Ive heard Nason is good, but never used it myself.

This is good advice. There is a reason you have never heard of anyone using this paint, and had to ask here.

For good budget paint, I suggest Sherwin-Williams or Eastwood.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NEVER EVER put more than 3-4 coats of clear urathane on...and thats only IF your going to color sand and buff it. Urathane clear is very heavy mils thick. Any more than 2-3 left after buffing is asking for trouble. Cold climates will crack and hot climates will also crack or split. Those 10-20 coat clear jobs were in the past with lacquers that were just a fraction of the thickness of urathane. One coat of urathane is equal to maybe 6-8 coats of clear lacquer...at least mixed and sprayed reduced as recommended. Ya, your 10 coat urathane clear will look great...until a year or so down the road when its problems start showing up. Then you have the fun of trying to strip off all those coats to redo it. Remember, that 10 coat clear job will be comparable to a car having 3 or 4 previous paint jobs and you know what thats like. Ive only been doing this for 45 years. More clear dont do anything...you only see the top coat. New cars barely have one coat of clear and they dont even bother with it under hoods and trunk lids.
mark1970

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2013 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought i would do a follow up to my original post... After using Tamco Paints products for several months on many projects, some I have posted here as tech how toos. I must say Tamco ranks up there with the best of the best, and there 7677 clear and 5310 primer is second to none on the market. There customer service is also second to none you can call them and they are more than happy to talk to you and answer you questions, also they really know about the industry. If you have any paint projects coming up I highly recommend you give them a call and give them a try.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock