Started on: 07-27-2013 10:37 PM
Replies: 13 (425 views)
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 08-02-2013 04:59 PM
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was in the right lane going about 45-50 and watched as an idiot zoomed by in the left lane and then basically pulled this move (link on a minute) and then STOPPED in the right lane after realizing they missed the exit ramp. I slammed on my brakes and managed to stop, but now I hear a lub-lub-lub sound. Do you think I warped my rotor(s)?

or maybe not?
http://backfires.caranddriv...ke-rotors-don-t-warp

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 07-28-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More likely the material separated from the backing on one or more wheels. You might notice a larger shiny area on the affected wheel(s), like the lack of an inner boundary. I had this whisk whisk sound on both sides of the SE. The right side eventually ground down the rotor and the other side the backing and the material fell out separately when I took the caliper off the rotor. I had assumed I just got lazy and allowed the right side pads to wear down all the way, but it might also be the one (outside pad) separated and fell out. I'd say buy some new pads and take the wheels off to see if the pads are in one piece.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:

More likely the material separated from the backing on one or more wheels. You might notice a larger shiny area on the affected wheel(s), like the lack of an inner boundary. I had this whisk whisk sound on both sides of the SE. The right side eventually ground down the rotor and the other side the backing and the material fell out separately when I took the caliper off the rotor. I had assumed I just got lazy and allowed the right side pads to wear down all the way, but it might also be the one (outside pad) separated and fell out. I'd say buy some new pads and take the wheels off to see if the pads are in one piece.

Thanks, I'll do this.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
warped? unlikely

Jack each wheel and carefully check the tire.
Likely front but check rear
You might have belt bad.
Indents or bulging, tread and/or sidewall, are a sign bad tire.

If you have "upgraded" brakes then check rotors moves on lugs. Many "upgraded" don't have hub centric rings...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you lock up the brakes? You may have made a flat spot on the tire.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest way to find out, pull the wheel and look.
If the rotor and pads don't bind, roll the wheel.
I hope it isn't serious tho, good luck!
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Did you lock up the brakes? You may have made a flat spot on the tire.

This is what I thought right away.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock solid rotors? Most likely not. Vented upgrade rotors? Could be. (Parallel runout) changing thickness of surface. Rare with solid rotors unless rusted or very badly overheated(blue marks).
In hard turn, violent braking, with hot rotors, possible(Lateral runout) [in/out] outer area of rotor not in line with hub.

Sometimes aggressive moves can cause wheel to move a little on the hub. Either way, you know the drill. Take off wheel, inspect.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might just need to lube the sliders.
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You might just need to lube the sliders.

unless they are from white castle...
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
speaking of grease
PFF
System Bot
GodSend

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

speaking of grease

What, no lub for white castle?
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe you're thinking of a castle nut
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You smoked the tires and flat-spotted them. Time for a new set.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock