Checking the cigarette lighter by 86 Vintage Fiero
Started on: 07-27-2013 11:10 AM
Replies: 3 (858 views)
Last post by: 92wastheyear on 07-27-2013 03:25 PM
86 Vintage Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a little trip and tried out the GPS system in my 86 GT - V 6. The end result was the battery in the GPS went dead because there was no power at the lighter ( that's what I want to check out). Took the lighter out, using a digits multimeter - I set it on DCV @ 20. The lighter has a light with wires going to it and the lighter itself has a reddish orange wire and another black wire ( each wire goes to an individual terminal). Took the red probe wire and touched the reddish orange wire the using the other probe and touched black to black. I heard a snap and of course there was no reading on the meter. Need to know what did I do wrong?? Probably will have to check the fuses because I am almost certain I blow the lighter fuse.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, likely BAT fuse went...

If lighter is used... Get another Casco lighter and socket.
See my Cave, Lighter

If "crow bar" is good, transfer to new socket. Many new sockets come w/o that part. Fiero socket has plastics frame very close to the heater...

Edit> Meter blows fuses? You likely set meter probes to use Amp shunt. replug the meter...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-27-2013).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you didn't know the fuse box will unlatch and drop to a vertical position. There are two latches on either side of it. Squeeze them to the middle, push up slightly on the fuse box to take the tension off and you should then be able to pull it down.

Edit> Meter blows fuses? You likely set meter probes to use Amp shunt. replug the meter...

What he means by this is either

1 - Your test probes are not in the right holes - The black should be in the COM (Common) hole and the red should be in the V or V-Ω hole. It must NOT be in any hole that looks something like 10A

And/Or
2 - Your knob needs to NOT be pointing to any measurement that ends in A.

---
Even turning the knob quickly past the settings that end in A can cause things to blow. Many meters have a fuse inside them that can blow also, so if your meter now acts dead or only reads 0 get the screwdriver out and check the fuse.

----

I really like using a 12v trouble light when checking for power and checking fuses. It puts a small load on the system which is good when checking for power, you don't have to look directly at the light to know if it's on or not, you won't ever get messed up because it is showing mV instead of V, you don't have to worry about setting the knob correctly or putting the leads in the wrong holes.

----
A wonderful way to check fuses. - Turn on the circuit in question - Now take your test light, and connect the ground clip to metal. Touch the tip of the light to one of the test spots on the back of one of the fuses that always has power. The light should light. Now TURN ON whatever it is that is not working. Assuming it does, now touch the tip to all the other fuse test spots. If the light lights on both, the fuse is good. If the light lights on only one, the fuse is bad. If the light lights on neither, then there is no power to the circuit (ie your lights are turned off and you are checking the fuse for the dimmer switch.

Note - In the above procedure you do NOT have to pull the fuses, unless one of them tests bad.

Can't get easier than that can you?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-27-2013).]

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 Vintage Fiero:

Took a little trip and tried out the GPS system in my 86 GT - V 6. The end result was the battery in the GPS went dead because there was no power at the lighter ( that's what I want to check out). Took the lighter out, using a digits multimeter - I set it on DCV @ 20. The lighter has a light with wires going to it and the lighter itself has a reddish orange wire and another black wire

Haha....I just replaced my lighter for the exact same reason. It was dead as a power source ...and the device I was trying use was, in fact, my GPS. As far as blowing the fuse goes....it is also very easy to short out the 2 probes if you are trying to test the wires while they are still attached to the lighter. Make sure and remove them ....and then test the circuit by probing the two connectors. If you get good 12v there then you know that the socket is bad....if you don't get 12v then it is the circuit itself is bad.

Another quick piece too....of you find that you need to replace the lighter socket make sure to save the outer cylinder of the stock lighter ....the outer cylinder's of the aftermarket ones don't fit well in the space provided in the Fiero. This is know problem though, since the inner cylinder of the aftermarket light will screw into the stock outer cylinder with no problem at all.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock