AC compressor bearing? by Super Duty Critter
Started on: 07-27-2013 10:33 AM
Replies: 9 (240 views)
Last post by: Super Duty Critter on 08-11-2013 08:24 PM
Super Duty Critter

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use my 1988 GT as a daily driver. This past week it started making a grinding noise after about 10 miles of driving. Then the noise would gradually fade away. This morning I took it out and it did the same thing. I was in an area where I could pull over so I put my engine stethoscope on the water pump and alternator and they sounded good. I couldn't reach my AC compressor from the top. But it sounded like that's the area the noise was coming from. So I reached in and turned on the AC, it immediately changed tone and was much quieter. I turned it off and it got louder. With the AC running it isn't nearly as bad but I still hear a metallic rattle from time to time.

So what do you experts think? Clutch bearing going bad?

FYI, I rebuilt the entire AC system a little over a year ago. Yes, it's now out of warranty. Just my luck.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully just the bearing for the clutch pulley. You can replace it without discharging the system, just need a couple special tools. Here's a video on how to do it. The compressor shown is an R4, but the process is identical for our DA6/HR6. You may have to unbolt the compressor from the car to get the tools on, though, never done it on the car. Once you get the pulley off, the bearing is on the pulley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URqFd3KkSRY

The bearing is National part # 907257, which will work on a DA6, HR6, or V5 compressor.
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great information. Thanks so much for the help.
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tools and parts are ordered. Thanks again for the help.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure it's not a" loose bracket" before you pull it off. It sounds an awful lot the same.
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotcha. I'll check before I wade in.
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was a typical day in the garage for me Saturday.

I figured that I could do it myself. I bought the special tools needed and got the bearing.

After removing the three mounting bolts I was ready to try and ease the compressor around from underneath, where I could get the clutch off.

So here I am, on my back under the car, no room to move, when the bolt that holds the AC muffler hoses to the back of the compressor stripped out, discharging the system in my face. I cut about a 1 inch gash in my left hand scrambling out of spray.

So now I get to buy a new compressor, dryer and orifice tube and start over. Yippee
Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cold AC again. I'm about to get good at this.
92wastheyear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Super Duty Critter:

Cold AC again. I'm about to get good at this.

Congrats (I think)!!

Super Duty Critter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Super Duty CritterClick Here to visit Super Duty Critter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Super Duty CritterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL. That's kind of how I'm feeling at this point.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock