check engine light (only on highway) by lg_lamb
Started on: 07-26-2013 06:38 PM
Replies: 13 (3836 views)
Last post by: DefEddie on 07-28-2013 04:44 AM
lg_lamb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lg_lambSend a Private Message to lg_lambEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a stock 88 with a V6. The check engine light comes on whenever I drive on the highway (sometimes within a few miles other times after about 20 minutes of driving). After I shut the car off and turn it back on the light does not come back on (unless I drive on the highway again). When I drive back home without taking the highway the light does not come on so it doesn't seem to be coming on after a set time but rather when driven over 60mph for a period. It has been doing this for the past month as I was hoping eventually the light would just stay on so I could have a shop look at it. Oh, I did replace the gas cap when this started happening and that did not solve the problem.

As a second question, any tips on checking the oil level. After I add some oil and re-dip the dipstick the oil seems to coat all over and make the dipstick hard to read the level. I have checked the oil level in many other cars and never had this problem with such a simple task.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are getting a code 32 I would guess, and the information is still in the computer...so you can check it ..light on or not.

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

The dipstick tube is long and bendy, so as you pull the stick out it picks up oil. 4 or 5 retries usually clears it out.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 07-26-2013).]

DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not enough info for an actual diagnosis,but i'm gonna say EGR since it only functions at cruise speeds and steady throttle.
Too many throttle transitions in city driving to actuate EGR.
Mine had a bad vaccum solenoid,I just unplugged the valve and turned it off in the prom.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really sounds like the EGR to me as well. Have a good look around the manifold area on both sides. I was getting a code 32 on mine under very similar circumstances and it turned out one of my vacuum hoses had come off. Plugged it back in and haven't seen a code in about 5,000 miles.
vizzionn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vizzionnSend a Private Message to vizzionnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mine does the exact opposite at idle after warmed up the check engine loight comes on but when im moving it goes out lol 88 2.5

[This message has been edited by vizzionn (edited 07-27-2013).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had that problem too, it was either the vacuum line at the bottom of the throttle body or the breather line from the rear valve cover to the rubber intake. It was a simple fix in my case, I just reconnected it and the light never came back on.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 07-27-2013).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same thing going on right now with my newly installed engine I will have to check those things out as well maybe one came loose on the install.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The two things to look for on a check engine light while driving steady state on the highway are Code 32 EGR, and O2 sensor.

One of my scanner cables would tell you which one it is for sure http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html (cheap plug)

Rob next time I am down that way I'll drop one off.

I don't have a great way to figure out if it's 32 or the O2 sensor without the cable but maybe someone on the forum can give an indication? Maybe like code 32 stays on usually until the key is turned off, but the O2 sensor can turn itself off ?? Maybe? I just don't know that for sure.

I do know code 32 will remain in memory even if the light is off until the battery is disconnected. Check your codes to see if any remain. https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-27-2013).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Could be an off idle speed issue. Have you checked to see if any codes remain even though the light is off? - https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

Originally posted by vizzionn:

mine does the exact opposite at idle after warmed up the check engine loight comes on but when im moving it goes out lol 88 2.5

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

The two things to look for on a check engine light while driving steady state on the highway are Code 32 EGR, and O2 sensor.

One of my scanner cables would tell you which one it is for sure http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html (cheap plug)

Rob next time I am down that way I'll drop one off.

I don't have a great way to figure out if it's 32 or the O2 sensor without the cable but maybe someone on the forum can give an indication? Maybe like code 32 stays on usually until the key is turned off, but the O2 sensor can turn itself off ?? Maybe? I just don't know that for sure.

I do know code 32 will remain in memory even if the light is off until the battery is disconnected. Check your codes to see if any remain. https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes

COol would love for you to stop over, I need you too look at the harness for the rottin chop anyway. From what I am told you already had to fix one of the harnesses that came out of that shop. I checked the codes and I have a code 32 I grabbed the egr valve and it moves freely so maybe the new stainless lines are restrictive and it does not move right? the o2 sensor is brand new too.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Code 32 on the Fiero is for the EGR control solenoid, not the EGR valve. Most likely it isn't a problem with the vacuum lines being too restricted.

PFF
System Bot
jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Code 32 on the Fiero is for the EGR control solenoid, not the EGR valve. Most likely it isn't a problem with the vacuum lines being too restricted.

Hmmm is that that tube looking thing on the battery side of the engine?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2013 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can easily jumper the aldl and just count the flashes for the code.
Next time you get the CEL than don't turn the key off,stick a bent paperclip in the aldl.
Can't remember orientation of aldl,but just look at it and there will only be a couple with pins installed right next to each other.
Stick the paperclip in to both pins and when you get the right ones the CEL will start flashing.
Sometimes after jumpering you will need to cycle keyoff and back on again to get flashes,so try that after jumpering.

I don't like suggesting randomly inserting the paperclip,but i've literally done it to 50+ OBDI cars (including fiero) and never shorted or messed anything up so don't think you will have an issue.

That will give you the code,google or post from there.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock