Is it the nature of the beast?? by 86 Vintage Fiero
Started on: 07-25-2013 10:02 AM
Replies: 11 (320 views)
Last post by: crashyoung on 07-26-2013 01:26 AM
86 Vintage Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Installed all new brake hoses, rotors, calipers and brake pads, bleed the system, took the car out several times and the brakes still soft or spongy. Is this the nature of the beast or can I improve them.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say re-bleed, or bleed a different way must be air still in there. How did you bleed, and which order did you bleed each corner of the car?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, that does leave the master cylinder

does the pedal go to the floor? brake light come on? do the brakes feel better if they get "pumped up"?

anyways - NO. the stock brakes should feel great. they may fade on repeated heavy use, but thats it.
86 Vintage Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bleed them in this order -- Passenger rear, driver's rear, Passenger's front' and driver's front. As far as how they feel. I can place my foot on the pedal and apply the brakes, the pedal does not go to the floor, I would say there about 2" between pedal and floor. But I want to pump them because they seem to go to far down. I drive a truck with power brakes and after driving it then drive the Fiero it seems like the brakes go down further than they should, maybe it just me. Am I thinking they should be more like the power brakes or all I really want is the brakes to be more full. In other words apply the brakes and the pedal goes ONLY half way to the floor.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
down on the bottom center of most PFF pages, there is a small pile of links. one of them is "Ogres Cave". go there and look into rear brakes or rear brake adjustment.

excessive pedal travel is usually a sign you need to use your hand brake more. and many folk dont have working handbrakes, so you may need to get back there and hand crank the hand brake lever a few times to spool it up
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember the bleed order off hand, but the driver's side rear is the furthest away from the master cylinder.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What pads did you use? Pads can have a surprising effect on pedal feel, leading to a feeling of excessive travel or sponginess. In my experience, the generic "lifetime warranty parts store brand pads" are about the worst for this, making otherwise nice brake systems feel terrible.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I don't remember the bleed order off hand, but the driver's side rear is the furthest away from the master cylinder.

yes, it is. but, it does share the line to the rear, and TEE off at the passenger rear wheel. so, yes, ideally, it would be drivers rear, then passenger rear. being a shared line, for full confidence do them twice, to make sure common air pockets near the TEE do go back 'n forth.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the idea that using the parking brake somehow adjusts the rear calipers is a myth. However, I can say with full confidence that having the parking brake cables properly adjusted DOES affect brake performance. Make sure those cables are there, adjusted, and working!

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The parking brake does adjust the rear brakes. There is a procedure in the maual. If no adjustement takes place more than likely one or both rear adjuster rachets are broken and need replaced.

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bleed order:
Driver Rear (furthest because the brake line goes back to a T and runs across the trunk to the drivers side)
Passenger Rear
Passenger front
Driver front

Since you did the hoses... Did you use new crush washers and torque to spec? It is possible that you aren't getting a good seal and sucking air back into the caliper.

After that I would say possibly the master cylinder.

I had a blue 87 GT that I could not bleed to save my life. Sold the car at a loss because I was so pissed. New owner said that he just bleed them and it was fine. Started driving the car right away. Makes me scratch my head when I think about it...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

PFF
System Bot
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2013 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you getting vacuum at the booster, and does it hold vacuum?
How old is the brake fluid, did you flush the lines?
Cheap pads or good metallics?

After all that, is your bleeding allowing air back in?
I use a quart jar to catch the fluid when I flush the system.
I remove the bleeder screw, coat it with copper anti-seeze,
reinstall it and hook a hose from the bleeder to the bottom of the jar.
After you get some fluid in the jar, it stops the air from being drawn
back into the wheel cylinder when you let off the pedal pressure.
It works for the clutch too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock