Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What is the torque on valve cover bolts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is the torque on valve cover bolts? by jimbolaya
Started on: 07-24-2013 10:01 AM
Replies: 18 (799 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 04-15-2016 11:30 AM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haynes manual says 72 to 108 inch pounds. That seems like a huge range and not very accurate. I've set my torque wrench for 80 inch lbs unless someone advises otherwise. thanks.

Jim

Edit: It's the V6

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 07-24-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6 to 9 lb foot as per 88 service manual .
8-12 N-m

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 07-24-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

6 to 9 llb foot as per 88 service manual .

Thanks.

There are 16 inch lbs per 1 foot lb, right?

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I googled a conversion chart and 1 foot pound = 12 inch lbs and 6-9 foot lbs equal 72-108 inch lbs, which is what I found in the Haynes manual. So I'm back to my original question, why the disparity or wide range?

Jim
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's simply an acceptable range for the size of the bolt. If you wanted to be certain you have the right torque, you should use the lower end of the range if your bolts or bolt holes are covered in oil, and use the upper range if everything is dry.

Edited for clarity.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 07-24-2013).]

DaytonTD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaytonTDSend a Private Message to DaytonTDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is almost always a range for every bolt. I usually use the upper range unless it starts to feel like something is going to strip.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

It's simply an acceptable range for the size of the bolt. If you wanted to split hairs on something as trivial as valve cover bolts, you should use the lower end of the range if your bolts or bolt holes are covered in oil, and use the upper range if everything is dry.

Not trying to split hairs or be trivial. I am not a mechanic, everything is pretty much trial and error for me. I realize everything has a range, it just seemed like a big disparity to me when expressed in inch pounds, versus foot pounds. I just didn't want to strip a bolt head off. Been there, done that, didn't like it. It's not a good question to ask "after" I've broke something.

Jim

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't mean to sound condescending, although I can see how my post could be taken that way. I'll change the wording to better reflect what I meant.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I just didn't want to strip a bolt head off.

The size of wrench relative to the size of the bolt will make a big difference in regards to over tightening.

Using a 1/4" drive ratchet on a 10mm bolt, there's little chance of "stripping a bolt head off".

A larger 3/8" drive ratchet might cause some damage with a 10mm bolt if you're feeling frisky.

However, a 1/2" drive ratchet can easily break/strip something when tightening a 10mm bolt, even in the hands of Mother Teresa.

It's all about leverage.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-24-2013).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put small bolts like that on with a nut driver by hand. If I see any leaks, I tighten each a bit more. If you have good quality gaskets, they dont have to be very tight to seal. A lot of my friends dont even use nuts or bolts, they use those fancy chrome wingnuts and tighten them by hand. Overtightening causes more leaks than too loose. I put a fresh motor in my racecar once and a buddy put on the oil pan. He tightened the pan bolts so much the cork gasket pushed out and oil poured out. I had to pull the engine back out to replace it.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I didn't mean to sound condescending, although I can see how my post could be taken that way. I'll change the wording to better reflect what I meant.

I appreciate all the replies. Roger, I've done that one also.

Jim

PFF
System Bot
mrstan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrstanSend a Private Message to mrstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I googled a conversion chart and 1 foot pound = 12 inch lbs and 6-9 foot lbs equal 72-108 inch lbs, which is what I found in the Haynes manual. So I'm back to my original question, why the disparity or wide range?

Jim

in some cases you are dealing with a gasket or other material being sandwiched, which makes the necessity for a range like that...
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In earlier threads people have said to be careful with the torque because you can crack the aluminum valve covers. I've been using a quarter-inch drive inch-pound torque wrench. 96 inch-pounds would be 8 foot-lbs, which is what I set the bigger torque wrench at before. The hard part on these things is even getting something in there if you don't have things partially disassembled. 8 ft-lbs got the motor dry on my SE.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are 16 inch lbs per 1 foot lb, right? ??????????????????
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Where are you getting 16 from?

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2016 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
12 inch / lbs = 1 ft./lbs

12 ft.lbs = 144 inch / lbs

16 inch / lbs would be approx. 1.4 ft./ lbs

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
" Quote" from jimbolaya , he said it in His thread, not me. LOL
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bolts on the V6 valve covers have a shoulder. You cannot compress the valve covers too much before the bolt strips. Be careful that you don't have different bolts from a previous owner. Get the thick blue rubber valve cover gaskets and snug the bolts down gently. They won't leak.

Please ignore the chocolate milk. That was from a failure to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets. Lesson learned.

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2016 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Maybe if you have really big feet?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock