Mike's Lambo Build by mkman
Started on: 07-23-2013 04:11 PM
Replies: 80 (13739 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 05-23-2015 08:23 PM
mkman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is more progress from this evening:

Got the passenger door frame and hinge mounted to the car.

Here is the door in the raised position, no gas shocks yet, just propped up.

IP: Logged
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for showing us your work here .It looks great and keep posting i am really enjoying this thread .
johnguzman1212

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnguzman1212Send a Private Message to johnguzman1212Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dude im so jealous I m doing a murcielago kit car no where as nice as yours but I will watch you carefully please post lots of pics even small things you do Im here to learn all things fiero and replicas
pgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so what type of glass are you gonna use for the side windows?
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pgold:

so what type of glass are you gonna use for the side windows?

The door frames and glass are from a 99 Saturn coupe. The smaller windows behind the doors will be plexi-glass cut to fit.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been a while since my last update, so here goes:

I have been mocking up the dash out of plywood to resemble the Aventador dash. I can't match exactly because of the location of the shifter in the center console.
Here is a pic of that:

I also got the wheels and tires that I will be using, they are Cray Hawk corvette wheels, 19x10.5 in the rear and 18x9 in the front. Looks like I will need to widen the suspension about 2" on each side.
Here are some pics:

OverKill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OverKillSend a Private Message to OverKillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking really good keep up the work and keep us updated with lots of pics

------------------
Ethan

1985 Base "The Mongoose" under the knife 472 turbo build

1988 Formula daily driver

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has officially been one year since I started this project. I have no idea how the time has gone so fast. So, here is the one year update:

Almost done widening the suspension, only have one front wheel left to do. It looks so much better with the wheels out where they are supposed to be.
Here is a pic:

For the rear suspension, I welded new a-arm mounts to the engine cradle to move the a-arm out, and made a bracket for where the strut attaches to the spindle to push the top of the spindle out. Here are some pics:

For the front suspension, I chose to widen the control arms so I wouldn't upset the steering geometry in a way that would induce bump steer. To do this I cut the control arm just behind the ball joint, and welded in some steel to add the extra width, then I welded in a gusset to support the extra length.
Here is a pic of the modded lower control arm:

Here is a pic of the finished front suspension including the air suspension setup:

Budget permitting, I will be working on the engine next.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love this thread! Keep up the good work, it's looking great!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like your ingenuity!

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-10-2014).]

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been quite a while since I have posted an update, so here we go.

I have been getting the car and the engine ready for install. Cleaned out the engine bay and stripped down the engine cradle. Tore the engine partially down to do new intake gaskets, timing chain, oil pump, water pump, 1.9 ratio rockers, and 3.4" supercharger pulley.

Here is a pic with the engine stripped down, new rockers and timing chain/sprockets installed.

Here is the engine reassembled and cleaned up a little.

Got a new stage 3+ clutch setup from spec.

Engine and F40 transmission mated together.

I am just waiting on a new motor mount to come in, then I will get to installing the engine onto the cradle. Hope to have everything installed in the car this coming weekend.
PFF
System Bot
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some update on my progress,

Got the engine and transmission installed a while ago, wiring is almost done, shift linkage and throttle cable are done, exhaust is built.
Currently working on axle shafts. Got the passenger side figured out with stock parts, but it looks like I might have to have a custom shaft made for the drivers side.

Here are some pics:

Engine installed:

Cat with Borla boomer muffler:

Here is how the exhaust tip looks at the back:

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, this is looking like a great build.
I do not usually like the Faux-rarri or kit cars, but the home-grown aspect has to be respected, especially since you are doing the engine and tranny I want to do.

I'd love to come down to Binghamton once my car is finished (spring) and get pictures!

Secondly, check out Jason's fuel rail thread for the 3800s, really cleans up the engine bay and lets you show off your supercharger
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the exhaust! Great look for the build, fit's perfectly. How does it sound?
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Love the exhaust! Great look for the build, fit's perfectly. How does it sound?

I have not started the engine yet. Hope to pretty soon though.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IT'S ALIVE!!!

Started the engine for the first time since it has been out of the donor car. Started right up, no issues. The exhaust has a really good sound, probably as close as I am going to get to the real lamborghini. Has a nice tone, and a good volume, a little loud but not at all annoying. I tried to get a video but the sound quality was terrible.
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't realize it had been so long since my last update, but here goes:

I used forum member bloozberry's advice to shorten and respline a Fiero axle to mate with the F40 transmission cv-joint. Finding a machine shop nearby to do the work was proving difficult, so I bought some tooling for my lathe, and did the job myself.

Here is a pic of the lathe cutting a spline:

Finished up the accuair air suspension, mounted the decklid, bled the brakes and clutch, hooked up e-brake cables. The car is now sitting on it's own wheels for the first time, and can move under it's own power.

Here is a pic of the car sitting on it's wheels:

Today I started making the molds for some small trim pieces, and started modifying the aftermarket scion FR-S tail lights.

Here is a pic of the tail lights:

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkman:
Today I started making the molds for some small trim pieces, and started modifying the aftermarket scion FR-S tail lights.

Here is a pic of the tail lights:

I've looked at the aftermarket Scion lights as well (My Murcielago build has recently changed to an Aventador build since the place I was going to get the kit had to stop selling them. I've found another place to get the Aventador kit...looks decent quality. Hoping to put the order in very soon.... then I can race you to the finish )

Back to the lights... Are you going to have to separate the elements of the Scion lights to create a suitable fitting light, or is it possible to just grind the edges to match the shape? Alternatively, will you just modify the rear fiberglass opening to accommodate the Scion light as you've shown in the pic. (I know the Scion light starts off with a lower light section that has to be removed as a minimum.)

Great work! Keep the posts going!
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if one could cram those lights behind the lenses of a notchie? What's the dimensions?
Ron
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you going to have to separate the elements of the Scion lights to create a suitable fitting light, or is it possible to just grind the edges to match the shape? Alternatively, will you just modify the rear fiberglass opening to accommodate the Scion light as you've shown in the pic. (I know the Scion light starts off with a lower light section that has to be removed as a minimum.)

Great work! Keep the posts going!

I am trimming off as much of the scion light as I can, I will have to fill a small section of the fiberglass opening as these lights are a little bit shorter than the opening, I am also fitting a reverse light next to the scion lights, as they do not have one built in.

f85gtron: the dimensions after trimming are 13" wide and 4" tall

Here is a pic of the scion light before trimming:

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started doing some body work, got the headlight buckets in place, and started panel alignment/bonding.

Here is a pic of the front end after todays work:

PFF
System Bot
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a bit of progress made in the last month. Made and installed the louvers for the decklid. Installed the outer door panels and door mirrors. Made the back section of the roof (the fixed roof, not the removable part). Built framework for the quarter glass and pillars, and installed the windshield.

Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to make active vents? (i.e. are you going to make the movable ones just outside of the rear hatch functional) What about the rear spoiler? Any thoughts of having that speed sensitive?

I've also sent you a PM
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you going to make active vents? (i.e. are you going to make the movable ones just outside of the rear hatch functional) What about the rear spoiler? Any thoughts of having that speed sensitive?

My vents and spoiler are not moveable, I figured it would be a bit too complicated and costly for what would really be a novelty with no real functionality on my car. Low cost being a priority on this build, as far as kit cars are concerned, my build is actually very low budget.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkman:

My vents and spoiler are not moveable, I figured it would be a bit too complicated and costly for what would really be a novelty with no real functionality on my car. Low cost being a priority on this build, as far as kit cars are concerned, my build is actually very low budget.

Too bad...that is the part of my build that I'm most looking forward to! But I agree that keeping costs down is important and they can get away from you quickly on a build like this.
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am amazed at the speed you are creating this fully custom setup for being only a weekend warrior. I've owned/worked on single projects for longer than 10 years that are still not complete and no where near as extreme.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by da.slyboy:

I am amazed at the speed you are creating this fully custom setup for being only a weekend warrior. I've owned/worked on single projects for longer than 10 years that are still not complete and no where near as extreme.

You just made my day. Been working on my Countach for a while now and people ask "When you going to get it done?". I'm doing it as a hobby/project and will get it done when I do. No deadline, just something to do on the side. Might start on an Aventador when done with this one, who knows.

Kevin
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

You just made my day. Been working on my Countach for a while now and people ask "When you going to get it done?". I'm doing it as a hobby/project and will get it done when I do. No deadline, just something to do on the side. Might start on an Aventador when done with this one, who knows.

Kevin

Only 3% of body kits actually get finished. Most people don't realize what it takes to put something like this together. The best thing is to do exactly what you said, don't set a deadline and just enjoy the build itself.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most people don't realize what it takes to put something like this together. The best thing is to do exactly what you said, don't set a deadline and just enjoy the build itself.

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most people don't realize what it takes to put something like this together.

Boy ain't that the truth! It's one thing to replace spark plugs in a vehicle, another to tear apart an existing car and restore it, then there is pretty much building a car from scratch. Most the people asking "When ya gettin' it done?" are the ones not able to start at the replace spark plugs stage!
I have rebuilt a few cars in my past and will admit this experience is an eye opener. I have hit a roadblock or two, but figure out what I need to do then move on. I'll get er done, at my pace!

Kevin

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent the last month doing body work, panel alignment, and fixing body gaps. Got the first coat of primer on the car, and now I am fixing smaller blemishes that showed up in the body. But it is nice to see it in closer to one color rather than the random spots of gelcoat, fiberglass, and body filler.

PFF
System Bot
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the first coat of matte black sprayed on the car. This will just serve as a base coat, but it reminds me of a batmobile in flat black, so I thought I would share a pic.

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks very aggressive in a tasteful way, very nice work!

Charlie
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So you're doing all this work for me right? Like.. you're going to give it tome for free? You'll even ship it to my address!?! You shouldn't have!

xD it looks great, I wish I had the know how for a project like this
Neils88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2015 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking awesome Mike! Keep up the great work!
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Plus for you. Looks great.

Bob
R.A.D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R.A.DClick Here to visit R.A.D's HomePageSend a Private Message to R.A.DEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just came across this build. very inspiring
mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the first coat of color on it today, I will be adding black accents around the air scoops and decklid louvers after a couple more coats of orange.

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started the upholstery work this past week, also some of the accent details on the exterior.

Here are some pics:

mkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkmanSend a Private Message to mkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the car out for it's first drive yesterday. Put about 70 miles on it and didn't have any major issues. The 3800sc with the f40 six speed is a great combination, the engine pulls hard and the trans shifts smooth.

Here are a few pics of it finally outside:

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock