Rear sway bar installation by gtoformula
Started on: 07-22-2013 09:37 PM
Replies: 19 (660 views)
Last post by: dematrix86gt on 07-23-2013 03:44 PM
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am installing a front SE sway bar on the rear of my suspension ('86 GT). I thought that I had saved a couple of threads to my favorites, but can't find them now. In one of these threads someone had documented the hardware that they purchased from Lowes or Home Depot including the bolt size and length of the bolt from the control arm to the sway bar. He also included the location of the hole drilled in the lower control arm. Anyone have that thread, or a similar one, that I can reference for my install?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shonyman32

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shony,
Many thanks. This is exactly what I needed!
crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut the stock sleeves in half and used the original hardware except for new bolts for the links.
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did this today. Youll love it!!! posted a pic of it too. mine was a 84SE front bar.Mounted on my 86 GT. i mounted mine in reverse. i like the looks of it better. except for loosing my jacking point on my cradle i love it!!!!!
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

Just did this today. Youll love it!!! posted a pic of it too. mine was a 84SE front bar.Mounted on my 86 GT. i mounted mine in reverse. i like the looks of it better. except for loosing my jacking point on my cradle i love it!!!!!

I just jack up by the sway bar, it is directly under the cradle so the cradle supports the load instead of it bending. Also it makes awesome jack stand points.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually i moved mine forward of the cradle. the ends came out perfect matching a simi circle indention on the lower arms. Just centered the circle and drill 3/8 hole. there is a little Locating hole center cradle on the rear. thinking of using a unibit to open it up a bit and modifying one of my jack heads to fit that hole.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A stock GT shulld already have a rear swaybar right? Is your mod stiffer?
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think some late 87s and all 88 gts had them in 86 was option only if im not mistaken.. Not really stiffer just tighter. its a big diffrence in how it feels and handles .
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only the '88 GT and Formula came with a rear sway bar from the factory.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stand corrected. This is my first Fiero and the info i get from these guys (and gals) is priceless. if you got a ? someone on here has the answer!!!
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have the $99 addco on the rear of the 2m4, it does corner ALOT nicer
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which bushing and endlink kit are u using on that addco?

Originally posted by 2.5:

We have the $99 addco on the rear of the 2m4, it does corner ALOT nicer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the type I have, these are great instructions from the Michigan Fiero Club.
Page 2 shows a nice schematic.

http://www.michiganfieroclub.com/files/swaybar.pdf

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-23-2013).]

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Fiero Store front and rear sway bars in my 87 GT. It corners very very well. I have a potent V8 5 spd. and noticed after putting in the sway bars, it really helped with off the line traction. I didn't ecpect that. I lowered the car 2 inches in the rear and 2.5 in the front. This really improved high speed stability. It's surprising how easily the Fiero can be made into a real performer.

------------------
woodys 427

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mines reversed to that illustration . just personal pref. i like the look of it reversed. Dont think JC sells that Bar anymore do they ?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

mines reversed to that illustration . just personal pref. i like the look of it reversed. Dont think JC sells that Bar anymore do they ?

I swear mine came from Summit racing, but I will have to find the reciept to verify, it came in an Addco box. I may have got it on Amazon, bought it this past winter. It was new in package.

Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the ride get any stiffer?
When going over bumps does it feel like the back end is tighter and less bouncy?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

Did the ride get any stiffer?
When going over bumps does it feel like the back end is tighter and less bouncy?

No change in up and down in a stright line, sway is very much reduced though.
This car has soft worn out struts and they will get replaced this winter. The stright line ride stayed the same adding just the bar.

If the back end doesnt feel tight could be cradle bushings, struts, alignment...
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No not stiffer, its kinds hard to explain, it tied the car together better. in the curves yes kinda stiffer with no roll what so ever. i tried one of our bad curves here going up the mountain and before it would tend to oversteer and the rear rolled. now its like its on rails till i push it past the breaking point for the tires . Then you get to be throttle friendly and mimic your fav drifter

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock