Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Front to rear swaybar swap (Budget build)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Front to rear swaybar swap (Budget build) by dematrix86gt
Started on: 07-22-2013 05:27 PM
Replies: 19 (773 views)
Last post by: dematrix86gt on 07-27-2013 05:36 PM
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 84 fiero front swaybar used from a salvage yard 35.00 used Energy suspension Frame bushings/brackets 9.00 ES sway bar endlink bushings kit 10.00 and 3 dollars worth of grade 8 bolts and 2 cut spacers off a old swaybar. Flipped it and put it under the rear. drilled the lower arms and cradle . So for under 60 bucks you have a rear set up . Cannot believe how much it tightened up the car. This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.Uploaded with ImageShack.com
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right you are. the 84 bar is excellent, and cheap.

I did the same thing and it works like a charm.

Arn
crashyoung

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done that mod to two of mine so far, makes for much better handling.
Slow6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slow6Send a Private Message to Slow6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sure is pretty! Nice setup.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, it tied the suspension together really good too. Only have to worry about over performing the tires now. getting ready to replace all the front bushings i noticed my steering Stabilizer/dampener is blown (gotta replace that now) im also guessing that when taking off the front end rise (reminds me of my dragcar 90/10 frt shocks) that the front shocks also need attention. all in due time
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took my steering stabilizer off. It gives much truer road feel in your steering.

Arn
mark1970

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the 84 bar different than the 85-87 bars?
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know. all the Ppl ive talked to say the 84 is a perfect bar for the rear on any of the fieros. and they made a believer out of me! I cant be more pleased!!!!
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All front sway bars for 84-87 are the same I believe. Don't know about 88 for sure though.

Does anyone else know if there are any other cars that use the same sway bar as the fiero front?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

All front sway bars for 84-87 are the same I believe.

No, there's a slight difference in diameter. If I remember correctly, the '84 bar is a bit thicker.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '84 bar is slightly thinner.

I had a standard 85-87 bar on the rear of my '87, with 11" end links to connect to '88 end link brackets on the camber bolts.

When I upgraded to Koni coil overs and 325# springs along with 245 rear tires, the rear bar was too much, so I took it off.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The '84 bar is slightly thinner.

I thought it was thicker. Anyway, suffice to say, they aren't all the same.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think there was two different sway bars in 84 and for 85-87 they reduced it down to one that was between the two in stiffness.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

I think there was two different sway bars in 84 and for 85-87 they reduced it down to one that was between the two in stiffness.

Ah, that might explain why Will and I seem to have a different recollection on this. Thanks for the info!
Brucepts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting, had to run downstairs and check as I just pulled a front sway bar off my scrap 84SE and it measures 23mm. The front sway bar on my 85GT is 24mm hummm
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do this mod, you may have to use a drill on the lower control arm for mounting. I you do, put some kind of stopping device on the drill bit. There is not a lot of clearance from the top of the lower control arm to the rear axle CV boot. I did the mod on my '87 and thought I was good enough to not drill too far. I was wrong and punctured a hole in the boot. Had to take a whole bunch of stuff apart that I hadn't planned on to fix my screw up. It is a good mod and one of the cheapest. Try the $100 brake booster mod next. It's awesome.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fffttt1:

. Try the $100 brake booster mod next. It's awesome.

Ok , Talk details!!! im listening!
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do a search on this forum. You'll find all you need and more.
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/072173.html

Does anyone know if there are any other sway bars that are the same as the fiero's front bar?
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2013 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heard the Pontiac 6000 was a exact match to the fiero swaybar. But been years and years since ive seen a 6000. sorry cant help other than that

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock