My LS1 Swap by FearArrow
Started on: 07-22-2013 01:50 PM
Replies: 17 (805 views)
Last post by: FearArrow on 08-02-2013 04:49 PM
FearArrow

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FearArrowSend a Private Message to FearArrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone, I have a 1988 formula 5spd 282 getrag with ttops. I bought an LS1 that is being rebuilt and I could use some help and advice. I have emailed V8 Archie trying to get help and a quote on his LS1 master kit, but no response yet... hoping he reads this and helps me out

Anyone that has done this swap please chime in?

------------------
1997 Grand Prix GTP-(totaled)
1993 Firebird Formula-(Sold)
2006 Grand Prix GT-(Sold)
1988 Fiero Formula 5spd T-tops - Current Ride
2011 Chevy HHR LT - Kid hauler
Its better to burn out then fade away (but you go through more tires)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie always answers----1-800-891-3608
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone (archie) sell the LSx to FWD trans adapter by it self?

I'm interested in doing a LSx swap myself but I'm fairly handy & don't really want to buy a $3,000 kit, I'd rather spend $300-$500 on a simple adapter plate and then spend the next 4 months figuring out I should have just bought the kit!

I have a used 5.3 LQ4 and fresh 408 LQ9 sitting in the shop, But I know they would not be a easy swap for my extra fiero.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96) I'll Sell it if you like
1985 GT 3800SC (swap in progress)

1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1fast2m4

514 posts
Member since Feb 2013
PS $4584.
Click the link > Products > V8 Kits and in the middle is LS1
V8 archie LS1 Kit#2 (master)

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 07-22-2013).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need a lot more than just the adapter plate. Here is a DIY LS1 install that shows most of the challenges that had to be overcome.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-2-027739.html
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've got email.

Archie
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:
I have a used 5.3 LQ

?? LQ4 is a lower compression version of the LQ9 and is a 6.0... 5.3l is gonna be an LM7 or L33 if its an aluminum block.
FearArrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2013 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FearArrowSend a Private Message to FearArrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all thanks, Archie got in touch with me almost right after I posted, I have a quote and I'm getting ready to get a deposit in soon. I am still trying to locate a computer and wire harness for the engine, I have been talking to someone thats selling one off their ss camaro getting ready to pull out the electricals and do a carb set up, no idea why but if he sells what I need I don't care why.

Anyone know of some good cleaners for an alum block that won't corrode it? I've heard simple green is ok if you rinse it off afterwards, I'd like this engine to look better before I start.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FearArrow:
Anyone know of some good cleaners for an alum block that won't corrode it? I've heard simple green is ok if you rinse it off afterwards, I'd like this engine to look better before I start.

Mineral Spirits or Acetone in a parts washer to get heavy grease and stuff off, and soap and water afterward is fine. Just dry it off well and quick after the soap/water. Simple Green or the Orange Blast degreaser will be fine to use too, outside of a parts washer.

Another option is to take it to a Car Quest, NAPA, or other local shop that does machine work and has a hot tank for cleaning engines and parts. It will get it quite clean.

Just keep it simple and avoid really heavy and complex cleaners. Soap and water will be fine, but the cylinders will rust before the aluminum corrodes, with that. You won't really have to worry about the aluminum corroding away, unless you use something really nasty.
FearArrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2013 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FearArrowSend a Private Message to FearArrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't so worried about it corroding away, I meant the finished surface oxidizing and becoming ugly and splotchy but thanks for the tips, I think i'm going to pass on anything as drastic as hot tanking it, I don't want it clean "that" badly. :-)
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-31-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wasn't so worried about it corroding away, I meant the finished surface oxidizing and becoming ugly and splotchy but thanks for the tips, I think i'm going to pass on anything as drastic as hot tanking it, I don't want it clean "that" badly. :-)

If you want it to stay clean, then just clean it as good as you want it to be with parts washer, then soap & water (or just soap & water), get it good and dry, mask off the machined surfaces, bolt holes, etc… and paint the block with a high temp clear coat. Or black/red/etc… if you prefer that instead of bare aluminum.
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:

?? LQ4 is a lower compression version of the LQ9 and is a 6.0... 5.3l is gonna be an LM7 or L33 if its an aluminum block.

Yea my bad, I was typing too fast, I have a rebuilt LQ4 that was punched out to 4.035" (6.1L) but have not purchased the heads for it yet, and a complete slightly used LM7 I got the two mixed up.

------------------

FearArrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FearArrowSend a Private Message to FearArrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hmm nice thought on the paint, but i like the bare aluminum look I am taping off all the openings on it for cleaning, I don't want to dip it in water or go crazy spraying I guess I was just hoping there was a cleaner I could spray on a rag and wipe it down with that would not accelerate oxidation.

I'm really close to Frederick MD, good to see other fiero owners nearby
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once you get all the grease/grime off it with other cleaners, then you could try some aluminum wheel cleaner.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The handy mans secret weapon is not duct tape, its SHOUT liquid laundry detergent 70/30 shout/water mix. Have a go, and report back. You will be amazed. I use it on everything.
FearArrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FearArrowSend a Private Message to FearArrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie's kit does a remote electric water pump, does this mean I can remove the stock waterpump off the engine, or is the pulley needed?

I started thinking about that as I was cleaning the water pump housing... wasting my time on that one.

[This message has been edited by FearArrow (edited 08-02-2013).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie's kit does a remote electric water pump, does this mean I can remove the stock waterpump off the engine, or is the pulley needed?

I started thinking about that as I was cleaning the water pump housing... wasting my time on that one.

The stock water pump is removed and not used.
FearArrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FearArrowSend a Private Message to FearArrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I thought so but wanted to ask before I take it off for nothing. I guess the two motor mounts on the sides can come off too?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock