Aux. connector for a IPOD!! by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 07-19-2013 08:37 PM
Replies: 26 (725 views)
Last post by: tigershark on 07-06-2014 03:00 PM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's link to how to hook up your IPOD to your factory radio. http://eurosportvr.com/ Look towards the bottom of the page for (DIY GM Delco AUX input instructions )

I just did mine and it works great!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

This covers Tape w/o EQ

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

NoMoreRicers

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be using this soon. Thanks. +1
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NoMoreRicers

2192 posts
Member since Mar 2009
I've got slightly shaky hands and soldering these small wires is hard!

NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NoMoreRicers

2192 posts
Member since Mar 2009
Alright, I'm all done. This isn't going to blow up my iPod when I hook it up, is it?
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NightMare: Does your radio have the cass w/eq?

Ogre: Anyreason this will / should not work with eq?
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, eq in radio. Yes cass! I wanted to keep the radio stock as possible . I never seen a replacement radio that made me say "wow" .
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:
Ogre: Anyreason this will / should not work with eq?

EQ has different wires... Search in archives

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-22-2013).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few of those cassette things you put in a player like a cassette that has a cord that plugs into any miniature jack on MP3 player, Ipod, radio, CB, TV, etc. Anything Ive plugged in plays just fine.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I have a few of those cassette things you put in a player like a cassette that has a cord that plugs into any miniature jack on MP3 player, Ipod, radio, CB, TV, etc. Anything Ive plugged in plays just fine.

Yes, they just don't sound as good. Good cassette players have 22kHz at best. (Sound worse than FM radio stations) The Fiero deck is far from good.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They work in tape players that work. Many old Delco players are decorations... Dead belts are famous but often many parts are worn out or dead.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to say that I finished this and it works great. The sound quality if superb. I still haven't mounted the jack yet though. I was going to put it by the cigarette lighter but now I'm thinking I'll put it under the trunk popper since I don't have rear defrost. What do you gotta do to run the wire to there? Pull out the gauge cluster?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

They work in tape players that work. Many old Delco players are decorations... Dead belts are famous but often many parts are worn out or dead.

Im not sure because I never had a tape player that didnt work. I dont know if a worn or broken belt will keep one of the plug ins from working since there is no tape or moving parts in it. Far as I know they just send the signal from the device onto the playback heads in the player. You may be right, I have no way of testing it.

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NoMoreRicers:

I just wanted to say that I finished this and it works great. The sound quality if superb. I still haven't mounted the jack yet though. I was going to put it by the cigarette lighter but now I'm thinking I'll put it under the trunk popper since I don't have rear defrost. What do you gotta do to run the wire to there? Pull out the gauge cluster?

That whole plate (with the trunk popper switch) is removable....it just unscrews with 4 Torx screws. It should be easy. No gauge cluster removal needed

[This message has been edited by 92wastheyear (edited 07-23-2013).]

mark1970

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would like to find out how to on the 98-99 decks... if anyone has a link or info? thanks
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 92wastheyear:

That whole plate (with the trunk popper switch) is removable....it just unscrews with 4 Torx screws. It should be easy. No gauge cluster removal needed

Yeah, I realize that. However, there is no lower opening at the back of that area. The only opening is from above where the trunk popper wires fold over.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Im not sure because I never had a tape player that didnt work. I dont know if a worn or broken belt will keep one of the plug ins from working since there is no tape or moving parts in it. Far as I know they just send the signal from the device onto the playback heads in the player. You may be right, I have no way of testing it.

Actually, it does have moving parts, they just don't really do anything in the adapter itself. The wheels in the adapter will still spin and if the stereo is a auto reverse unit and those wheels get stuck it will auto reverse and try to spin them the other way. If they still won't spin the adapter will be ejected. Those wheels need to move or the adapter will not work.

That being said, I also don't know if a broken belt would keep it from working. Some stereos I've had when a belt was broken, the tape would just sit in the deck like it was playing but no sound came out because the tape wasn't actually moving. With one of these adapters it wouldn't matter because it's head to head contact and without the spindle rotating to turn the tape, the wheels in the adapter won't effect anything. On a side note, next time you have a tape adapter in and your using it, try hitting the auto reverse button and see what happens. On several of the stereos I had in the past, when the tape head shifted to play the other side of the tape, one side of the sound would drop out because the head in the adapter was no longer properly aligned.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just so your aware, I did this on my head unit with an equalizer, had no issues. I was the original to follow this method. I was in process of re-writing, and taking fiero related photos decided just to share original source.
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Phirewire

1531 posts
Member since May 2012

I wouldn't recommend it, due to the wire hanging. I'd suggest either next to cig, outlet is where I had it, or my second choice, the ashtray and also install an cig outlet.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:

I wouldn't recommend it, due to the wire hanging.

I'm not sure what you mean, can you explain more please?
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:

Here's link to how to hook up your IPOD to your factory radio. http://eurosportvr.com/ Look towards the bottom of the page for (DIY GM Delco AUX input instructions )

Here are more direct links:

Page 1
Page 2

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Good cassette players have 22kHz at best. (Sound worse than FM radio stations) The Fiero deck is far from good.

Good luck with that. Even the best cassette players seldom exceed 16 to 18 KHz bandwidth, at best, which equals or exceeds the capability of most human ears. (The bandwidth of standard FM broadcast is limited by regulation to 15 KHz.) The cheap speakers and dismal signal-to-noise ratio inside a Fiero cabin will make high frequencies even less perceptible. I certainly agree that the OEM Fiero radio is not a high-audio-quality device, but then it was never intended to be.

FWIW, 22 KHz is the absolute bandwidth limit for CD audio (44.1 KHz sample rate).

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 07-24-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
That being said, I also don't know if a broken belt would keep it from working. Some stereos I've had when a belt was broken, the tape would just sit in the deck like it was playing but no sound came out because the tape wasn't actually moving. With one of these adapters it wouldn't matter because it's head to head contact and without the spindle rotating to turn the tape, the wheels in the adapter won't effect anything. On a side note, next time you have a tape adapter in and your using it, try hitting the auto reverse button and see what happens. On several of the stereos I had in the past, when the tape head shifted to play the other side of the tape, one side of the sound would drop out because the head in the adapter was no longer properly aligned.

GM and most others DO NOT move the head for auto-reverse. Head has 4 channels, 2 forward and 2 reverse.
No sound on 1 or more channel means Head, Head preamp, or electronics control auto-reverse function have died.
I have a GM unit w/ this problem...

Belt break depend on how tape is designed... Some can work w/ adapters ok w/ dead belts. Many will barf out a tape/adapters or get stuck switching forward/reverse when no movement.

Adapter match head alignment for best sound. Some adapters has user adjustment "switches"/etc for adapter's head for this.

Cheap ones use cheap heads...
Cheap ones can make noise when new or has time to wear from the gears/wheels/pulleys/etc that keeps auto-reverse/stop happy.
Edit> Many old players make noise too. Fiero cabin often has enough road noise to drown out that...

Tape head DOES wear for playing tapes and that can/does effect sound output. Head wear = freq response suffers.
Example, New head spec is 18khz? worn head can be a little to allot less.
Heavy wear can/will affect adapter too.

I used adapters too. Is Ok but best sound needs a jack into main amp.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-24-2013).]

Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not sure what you mean, can you explain more please?

while your driving you want the aux cord out of your area, atleast thats how it is for me, I dont want wires hanging by my steering wheel or feet.
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2013 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:

while your driving you want the aux cord out of your area, atleast thats how it is for me, I dont want wires hanging by my steering wheel or feet.

Oh, I see what you mean. I just thought it would be convenient because the headphone jack is on the top of my phone and I like to set it in the ash tray. I took off the top of the center console and it looks like it would be a pain to feed the jack past the shifter under the passenger side ash tray. I'll have to look at it more.
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My turn to try this project. I have the top off of the radio now.

Edit: I have decided to front mount the aux jack on the faceplate of the radio so that it is all self contained. There may be enough room for the plug near the volume knob. I'll report back in a while.

Edit 2.2: New location being explored

Ain't it perty?

I had to cut out some metal to make room.

How it looks back together. I'm going to use a black sharpie on the metal circle so it will not be noticeable much at all.

All that is left now is to install it and test it out with an expendable radio.

Sooo cool! Thank you for this thread.
------------------

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 03-01-2014).]

tigershark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tigersharkSend a Private Message to tigersharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good I would like to try this on a 95 Cavalier CD Delco radio.

------------------
'85 85GT silver soon tho get a 3800 sc
Sold '87 coupe sunset orange 5 speed Tenzo Tremor wheels
[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-b8U6uDQze8Q/U7mXuw6G6uI/AAAAAAAAHmQ/XSkJ7_mhwoY/w640-h114-no/signature.jpg[IMG]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock