5speed swap by KY87fierogt
Started on: 07-16-2013 08:28 PM
Replies: 14 (311 views)
Last post by: KY87fierogt on 07-19-2013 07:10 PM
KY87fierogt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, this is probably a stupid question. I am in the process of swapping an 88 5speed into my 87 gt. can I use the fly wheel from the 88? Have read that there is a difference(internally balanced vs external). Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks,
Travis
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is an issue if the 87 has an 87 engine. Larry
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 engine's rotating mass is balanced through the crankshaft and there were no weights on the back of the flywheel. Stock 87 engines were balanced via the flywheel as evidenced by flat pieces of metal welded to the back side of it. Using the wrong flywheel can generate vibrations that at the least can destroy bearings and seals and at the worst, cause the crankshaft to break.

You can identify an internally balanced crankshaft by the large reluctor wheel at about the center of its length. It won't have the notches cut into it, but it's the same flywheel as used in later DIS engines.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to use an 87 flywheel for your 87 engine. Everything else from the 88 is fine.

Is this an auto-to-manual swap, or just a newer transmission?

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-17-2013).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will need an 87 flywheel for an 87 engine. Finding one in a parts store as they may not have the correct one. The shop that did my transmission work got the wrong one for my 87. A quick test drive after the install demonstrated that fact. The could not locate the correct flywheel. I was fortunate to have the shop find someone to reface the original flywheel and all was well. The shop was "upset" for they replaced the flywheel twice, dropping the cradle, exhaust, suspension twice.
KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the replies. I had read a thread a while back about differences in the 88. I had forgotten about the flex plate/flywheel diff; I couldn't begin to say what made me remember but I'm glad I asked. I appreciate the advise.
KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KY87fierogt

73 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by fierosound:

You need to use an 87 flywheel for your 87 engine. Everything else from the 88 is fine.

Is this an auto-to-manual swap, or just a newer transmission?

Auto to manual swap. I am going to swap the engine,transmission and wiring harness now. I originally didn't want to because my engine has less miles.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That explanation clarifies a lot. Use an unbalanced flywheel on the 88 engine when it's installed into the 87 chassis. A common flywheel that's a bolt-in is the Beretta 2.8 or 3.1 V6 flywheel. It won't have any weights on the back side. If the clutch and pressure plate has any mileage on it at all, just go ahead and order a clutch kit for an 87 or 88 V6. It will have the correct throwout bearing. For fail-safe operation, put the extra money into good quality Rodney Dickman clutch master and slave cylinders for the Getrag trans. Then enjoy for many years to come.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KY87fierogt:

Auto to manual swap. I am going to swap the engine,transmission and wiring harness now. I originally didn't want to because my engine has less miles.

It would still make sense to find an 87 flywheel for the 87 engine. Why potentially do the work twice?

Auto to manual - done that. See about halfway down page //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000077-3.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-18-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound, he's putting an 88 engine into an 87 car. He should use an 88 flywheel. The flywheel is specific to the engine, not the chassis.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Fierosound, he's putting an 88 engine into an 87 car.

Yeah - because he's given up finding the 87 flywheel to use with his LOWER MILEAGE 87 V6 engine.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-18-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah - because he's given up finding the 87 flywheel to use with his LOWER MILEAGE 87 V6 engine.

That makes sense. I didn't read it that way, but you're right. It would be much easier to swap in an '87 flywheel onto his engine and hook up the trans and other things. He'd still need to swap out the engine harness from the 88.

BTW, KY87, you will need to replace the right drive axle when installing the manual trans. The automatic axle is shorter than the manual axle. And have you tried the Mall to see if anyone has one for sale?

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have flywheels. 3 of them. 1 Fidanza light weight for 88v6, 1 stock 88v6 and one from an 85v6. All used. LMK if interested.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't the 88 motor have better bottom end lubrication than the 87? Or does the 87 engine also have the improved oiling system?
KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have an 88 formula (5spd)that will take some time to get fixed up and a 87 gt (auto)that is in really good shape. I want the 5spd in th gt for fuel economy. I will be starting school next month and would like better mpg. I have already pulled the cradle from the formula. And lack maybe 2hrs on the gt. I plan on swapping between both cars. If I don't swap engine and trans then I have to buy 87flexplate and an 88 flywheel for both swaps.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock