Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  F23 pouring out transmission fluid (pic)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
F23 pouring out transmission fluid (pic) by doublec4
Started on: 07-15-2013 07:22 PM
Replies: 10 (521 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 07-22-2013 06:01 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The joy of my new transmission swap hasn't lasted very long. My F23 is just pouring out transmission fluid when the engine is on.

It looks like it's coming from inside the bellhousing... so I'm guessing the it's the "main" seal or whatever it's called? If you have any suggestions, let me know... I can't even drive it anywhere without losing tons of fluid within seconds.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zac88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if the F23 is similar to the getrag in this aspect but I had a similar thing happen to me. The big plug that covers the detent mechanism popped out and leaked like crazy. Either way you gotta pull the trans
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I kind of figured it would need to be pulled I can never just enjoy this car
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coincidences happen.
Make sure it's not your rear main seal or cam seal.
If the back side of the flywheel and back of the engine are soaked it'll be on the engine side.

If the clutch and tranny are soaked, it'll be something on the tranny.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Coincidences happen.
Make sure it's not your rear main seal or cam seal.
If the back side of the flywheel and back of the engine are soaked it'll be on the engine side.

If the clutch and tranny are soaked, it'll be something on the tranny.

It's definitely tranny fluid, coming from behind the clutch area
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only hope you "pulled a wheelie" in the process, at least.

sux man
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Yeah I kind of figured it would need to be pulled I can never just enjoy this car

My F23 swap is still sitting half torn apart at a buddy's house... started in April, sigh. I hear ya. I have anxiety because of thoughts of things breaking on the first run...

Unfortunately the trans has to be pulled, in your case... but the input shaft seal is only 5-6 bucks and for Timken or SKF parts. Hard to beat, compared to the availability for HM-282 parts.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 07-16-2013).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I only hope you "pulled a wheelie" in the process, at least.

sux man

Not even close.

I was sitting in traffic the whole way home from work. Pulled off the highway to mail a package and I noticed a giant puddle under my car. Luckily I think the leak just started since I still had plenty of fluid and I was only seconds away from my house at that point. Just drove it the last 20 seconds home and it's been parked since. Definitely don't want to ruin this tranny as it is apparently low mile and has a LSD installed.
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't help but think that you might have a busted case. Most clutch pressure plates come close to, or hit the differential bump and need some clearancing. Perhaps it poked through? Maybe rubbed through? Let's be honest, The amount of fluid supplied to the front bearing isn't much, and it doesn't usually decide to escape suddenly. The seals tend to decay over time.

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 07-17-2013).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

I can't help but think that you might have a busted case. Most clutch pressure plates come close to, or hit the differential bump and need some clearancing. Perhaps it poked through? Maybe rubbed through? Let's be honest, The amount of fluid supplied to the front bearing isn't much, and it doesn't usually decide to escape suddenly. The seals tend to decay over time.

Let's hope not!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock