Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Drop spindles?? Anyone know anything about these??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Drop spindles?? Anyone know anything about these?? by weloveour86se
Started on: 07-15-2013 11:46 AM
Replies: 11 (674 views)
Last post by: weloveour86se on 07-19-2013 02:47 PM
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just picked up a few parts. PO said they are 2 inch drop spindles for the fronts and 2 inch drop springs for the rears. He didn't know the spring rate for the rears.

Any one know anything about the spindles? The spindle on the right is a factory one for comparison.

Here the factory spindle is on the left. I had to reposition it to get it out of the shadow so we could get a better look at the two and their differences.

I currently have RD 1 inch lowering balls on the fronts of my car with adjustable coilovers in the rear. Also I have 17 inch wheels with 225/50-17 tires.

So do you think this wheel and tire combo will fit with these 2 inch drop spindles? Any thoughts?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look like Belltech drop spindles and rear lowering springs. I have the same set. They are great parts and are no longer made.

Edit to say you will need to go back to normal ball joints.

------------------
fourpoint9
modifiedfieros.com

[This message has been edited by fourpoint9 (edited 07-15-2013).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

They look like Belltech drop spindles and rear lowering springs. I have the same set. They are great parts and are no longer made.

Edit to say you will need to go back to normal ball joints.

Cool and TY. I figured as much with the ball joints. I will have to go look for the Belltech website. No longer made you say?! Wonder what these are worth, just in case I decide not to use them. Do you recall what you paid for your set??

TYVM for chiming in!

fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid $350 for the never used set plus some other new parts - a steering rack, rotors, calipers, bearings and brake hoses. I got a sweet deal.
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

I paid $350 for the never used set plus some other new parts - a steering rack, rotors, calipers, bearings and brake hoses. I got a sweet deal.

Again... Cool and TY!

So I guess I need to decide if I want to use these. I'm pretty sure I won't need the rear springs as like I said I have adjustable coilovers in the rears already.

mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is mine with 2" drop spindles, std height springs, and 215/40x17 tires, slight rub on full lock only, I have about a 1 1/2 finger gap between the tire and fender, a higher profile tire would probably not work.

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

[This message has been edited by mafv8 (edited 07-15-2013).]

weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mafv8:

here is mine with 2" drop spindles, std height springs, and 215/40x17 tires, slight rub on full lock only, I have about a 1 1/2 finger gap between the tire and fender, a higher profile tire would probably not work.

Awesome!! That was what I was just about to ask next when I saw your post. Did anyone have them and a pic of how it looked. That looks very BA BTW! TYVM for posting the pic. Any chance you have a straight on side shot?

How wide are your rims?

What size are your rear tires?

Hows the ride?

Lol sorry...

mafv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Awesome!! That was what I was just about to ask next when I saw your post. Did anyone have them and a pic of how it looked. That looks very BA BTW! TYVM for posting the pic. Any chance you have a straight on side shot?

How wide are your rims?

What size are your rear tires?

Hows the ride?

Lol sorry...

so here is a side shot, rims are 7.5" wide, not sure of offset, rear tires are 225/50x17 and I have Eibach springs on the back 1" lower ?, rides ok on smooth roads but on normal Michigan roads its a little rough, plus need to be carefull on gas station ramps and dead critters in the road, but it does look mean if I say so myself, for an everyday car it would be to low.

[This message has been edited by mafv8 (edited 07-16-2013).]

Shill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also curious about what happens when there is a bump in the road with that little gap in the wheel well. Do you ever worry about the suspension compressing enough to damage the wheel well /fender?
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so here is a side shot, rims are 7.5" wide, not sure of offset, rear tires are 225/50x17 and I have Eibach springs on the back 1" lower ?, rides ok on smooth roads but on normal Michigan roads its a little rough, plus need to be carefull on gas station ramps and dead critters in the road, but it does look mean if I say so myself, for an everyday car it would be to low.

Wow!! That does look BA! However what was the Asiana airline pilots name? We Too Low? Or was it Sum Ting Wong?

IDK if I could make it out of my driveway, let alone down a Maine road! I dunno if these drop spindles are right for my application. TYVM for sharing the pics and experience/knowledge. This is why I love PFF!

Also I'm wondering the same thing as Shill... Looks SICK though! All the Ricer kids around here would be drooling!

mafv8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with regard to fender damage, nothing yet, and the spindles have been on for 10 years, its a hobby car so not that many miles, but I do take it out for early morning runs on some bumpy Michigan back roads and it is exercised fully !!, the edge of the wheel is inboard of the fender lip, so the wheel would hit the liner.
PFF
System Bot
weloveour86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

with regard to fender damage, nothing yet, and the spindles have been on for 10 years, its a hobby car so not that many miles, but I do take it out for early morning runs on some bumpy Michigan back roads and it is exercised fully !!, the edge of the wheel is inboard of the fender lip, so the wheel would hit the liner.

That's great to hear. Although these are headed for the PFF Mall and will be FS. Not right for my application.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock