Half up headlight by stefanosg
Started on: 07-15-2013 06:10 AM
Replies: 4 (339 views)
Last post by: FieroTony on 07-22-2013 01:31 PM
stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a nonfunctioning right headlight on my '88. I got the kit with the metal gear and new bushings. Now that it has been replaced, the headlight only goes half way up. To be more specific, it will go all the way up with the hood raised and has no down force on it from the headlight cover. When I close the hood, it will stay up, but when I cycle the lights up and down, it only goes half up. Is there anything I should look for straight away?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 headlights work on current drain. If there's too much current (caused by a jammed motor) the module will shut off the juice.
Something is causing too much friction.
The only time mine did this is when I had a cracked (plastic) gear that was binding. Obviously you don't have a cracked gear.

Did you lubricate the gear teeth with a little bit of bearing grease?
There is also a tension adjustment. I forget where it is, though. Been a while. On the bottom of the motor, IIRC.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-15-2013).]

stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I did lubricate the new gear. I'll check the adjustment on the tension. It is in the bottom. I had my suspicions. Thanks
stefanosg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had disassembled the motor before I even ordered the kit. During the disassembly, I noticed a small ball bearing. Not knowing where it came from I put it in the little tin for small parts. I was looking at the instructions the other day and noticed a warning not to lose the ball bearing. I put the little bugger back in and ouila, the headlight now has full range of motion. Lesson learned. even when you think you know what you are doing, take a peek at the instructions anyway.
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.
My 88 is doing the same thing on the RH light. Have the rebuild kit, just need time to get to it. (Of course since I got the kit I haven't had the problem!)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock