Cutting springs by tebailey
Started on: 07-13-2013 09:03 PM
Replies: 14 (601 views)
Last post by: zkhennings on 07-16-2013 10:22 AM
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone lowered the front end by cutting the front springs? would like to know height to coil removal ratio.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done it several times. Just make sure you use a cut off wheel, band saw etc and not a torch. Just mark one coil lower and cut. Easy peasy. You can go up to 2 coils IIRC, but thats getting pretty low. I'd also suggest you trim the bump stops. Fieros have **** for wheel travel in the front.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plan on using a cut off wheel, torch changes the temper in the springs, seen a lot of people screw up front suspensions that way. Just wanted to know how much one coil will lower the front end.
TWright

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TWrightSend a Private Message to TWrightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there an easy way to cut down the bump stops in front?

West Coast Fiero's recommends taking a section out of the metal "tower" that the rubber bumper sits on. But that means you have to weld the two halves back together. Is there a non-welding way to cut down the bump stops?
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TWright:

Is there an easy way to cut down the bump stops in front?

West Coast Fiero's recommends taking a section out of the metal "tower" that the rubber bumper sits on. But that means you have to weld the two halves back together. Is there a non-welding way to cut down the bump stops?

Certainly, but you won't have the rubber part in there anymore...

Seriously though, I'm not sure how long the rubber bumper is. If it's a couple of inches long, you could just cut it in half and increase travel area. If it's less than a inch then cutting it isn't going to give you much more travel and cutting and welding the tower is about all you can do.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 07-14-2013).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a pic of what I have. You can see I could use about an inch of lowering in the front.http://kitcars.invalid_domain_due_to_malware/download/file.php?id=29This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, you are right, you do need to do soemthing to it. Larry
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If all you want is to lower it 1 inch, Cut 1 coil off the stock springs. you won't have to cut the bumper stops. it'll still ride fine.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was what I wanted to know, one coil 1". Thanks.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With one coil cut off I can fit one and a half fingers in between the top of the wheel and fender with stock 88 GT wheels and tires. I had to trim the bump stops because the front end would bottom out on almost everything. I cut and re welded the cone removing around an inch of material. I would say the rubber stops are about an inch long but I felt better cutting that metal cone instead of trimming the rubber, it was jarring enough with that inch of rubber there, remove that and I feel your car would come apart bit by bit over every bump.
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instead of cutting spring coils and thereby reducing suspension travel, why not install Rodney's lowering ball joints?
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Price, cutting springs $0, lowering ball joints $$$
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cutting and rewelding bumps stops. $$$
Cutting wheels and welding supplies ain't free.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are for me. I get mine supplied by my employer.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2013 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

They are for me. I get mine supplied by my employer.

Win

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock