spoiler stands issues by maybenot
Started on: 07-13-2013 08:27 PM
Replies: 4 (441 views)
Last post by: Ray_and_kevin on 07-14-2013 05:00 PM
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi folks,
so its been a few weeks since i purchased my 85 gt, and after getting it running fairly well,except for mpg, i have extensively used the search function and it solved most problems. thank you.
To that end, i had an issue with the spoiler stands. specifically they were crumbling. to the point i spent more time looking in the mirror than on the road. so it was time to fix. i removed the spoiler stand nuts on the trunk lid from under it and turned it upside down. there was where the bolts mount to the stands and the fiberglass was cracked. i first tried liquid nails and completely flooded the area supporting the mounting bolt holes. after 2 days, it was still not solid. i dont know if it was a humidity issue or holding to fiberglass, but it was not working. then i peeled it all off and tried 2 part jb weld epoxy. same result. at this point i said i have to try a different set. i found a used set from paul v(thanks again).
then the issue with the screws holding the stands to the spoiler started.
Dont try to reuse the nuts. just pull them out and go to ace hardware and for 80 cents each get new ones. i epoxyed the holes with fiberglass marine epoxy and inserted the rubber expansion nuts. let it cure over night and remounted the spoiler. worked great.
it was as i was admiring my work over a beer or 3 i realized the mounting bolts were in the wrong holes on the stands. i guess there were 2 mounting dimensions. why, i dont know. must be a joke from the engineers back in the day. the bolt mounting holes are there, just the bolts are in the wrong ones. i tried to remove them but they were just spinning. so back to ace hardware for a 12" threaded rod-1/2x20, and matching nuts and lock washers. i predrilled the holes to a hair under the bolt size and smeared the heck inside with the marine epoxy, then screwed in the bolts to the right height, and let sit for the next few days and beers. i then hack sawed the old bolts off at flush level.
thats where i stand now and it should be probably a little over-kill, but i have never had a car with a spoiler before and i really want it to be solid and not have to worry about it coming off at high speeds.
hope this helps the next guy.
thanks again for posting solutions.
johnny
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Later model stands (86-88) had 3 stud holes in each stand. This was due to the different spacing required of the notchback and the fastback decklids. It just made it more economical to cast 1 universal stand than to have to cast 1 for each style decklid.

The rubber wellnuts used in the bottom of the spoiler are M5 - 8 and are a standard GM part. The most common manufacturer is Auto Vehicle Company aka Au-Ve-Co. Ace Hardware stores often stock them. If not, you can probably find them at a GM dealer. Generally used in the luggage racks of GM cars.
PatrickTRoof

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went a different route. Like yours, the stands on my 85 GT were disintegrated beyond repair...when I bought the car, the wing was in the passenger seat. I got a pair of stands from the junk yard, and six domed carriage bolts and nuts from Home Depot. I drilled all the way through the top of the spoiler and ran the bolts down through it into the feet, and put the nuts on. The holes where the studs go through the deck were all messed up too, so I filled and drilled them, and next step will be to glue in some pieces of allthread.

The spoiler looks a little funny with the six carriage bolt heads on top, but I think it looks kind of cool that way. I painted the heads the same color as the spoiler, and it almost looks like it was made that way.
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that should hold it on.
in my head i'm planning some kind of aluminum supports maybe anodised, if these start to erode.
Ray_and_kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found out that there appear to be at least two different "footprints" for the base. I got a used pillar (forget where) and it did not match up with the black boot between the pillar and deck.

I have a task when I get all those round tuits to take both to a 3D scanning outfit and create a 3D model of each side. Then I should be able to make a 3D printing of them to make a mold. I figure this is a pretty common issue for Fieros. I know my 86 SE had an issue within the first couple of years with the spoiler holding on to the pillar. With the unlimited mile warranty I bought, I now wonder why I didn't get it fixed???

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock