Rough Idle on low mileage '84 SE by Spoonless
Started on: 07-13-2013 08:22 PM
Replies: 9 (547 views)
Last post by: Spoonless on 07-20-2013 09:32 PM
Spoonless

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonlessClick Here to visit Spoonless's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpoonlessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've inherited an 84 Fiero SE with a 4 cylinder Iron Duke. It's been sitting still outside for the past 15~20 years, and has just shy of 50,000 miles on it. I just finished remounting the fuel tank the other day after cleaning it out and replacing the fuel pump. I got the engine to turn over and start, but it's idling really rough. If I feather the gas (while in park) so it's running above ~1000 RPMs it sounds a lot better, and as soon as I let off the gas it chokes and sputters for a good half minute until it eventually stalls.

I've been rooting around the web looking for rough Idle troubleshooting tips, but haven't turned up much that is useful. What should I check next? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Spoonless
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you change the fuel filter? I would suggest new plug wires and plugs. Buy some Sea Foam and use it according to instructions. You might have little critters and their nests in the exhaust if it was sitting where they could enter the exhaust.
blacknotchback86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here is stuff to look for this is written from the haynes manual for the fiero.. i would look at 1-4 first then go to 5-7 lastly look at every thing in those systems. and try to find the problem... the reason for 5-7 last it hard to rip it down and rebuild easier to just test and fix...

#8 engine lopes or idles erratically

1) vacuum leakage
2) leaking egr or plugged pcv valve (chapters 1 and 6)
3) air filter clogged see chapter 1
4) fuel pump not delivering or insufficient fuel being delivered see chapter 4.
5) leaking head gasket see chapter 2
6) timing chain and or gear worn see chapter 2
7) camshaft lobes worn see chapter 2
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whereabouts in Michigan?
blacknotchback86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
south east out by novi
Spoonless

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonlessClick Here to visit Spoonless's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpoonlessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Whereabouts in Michigan?

Western UP

[This message has been edited by Spoonless (edited 07-13-2013).]

A Woodward

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2013 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for A WoodwardSend a Private Message to A WoodwardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your timing. I know my 84 duke is very picky about timing and idle.
Spoonless

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonlessClick Here to visit Spoonless's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpoonlessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your input, here's an update on what I've done thus far

- changed the air and fuel filters
- added some Lucas fuel treatment
- checked and cleaned the PCV valve
- checked the distributor cap for wear
- checked for ECM error codes (only got code 12)
- checked the spark plugs (they look oily)
- saw some dark smoke come out the tail pipe while the engine was running
- saw exhaust comes out the air intake shortly after the engine stalls out

I plan to check the EGR and vacuum next (as soon as I figure out how go about doing that)
Goallie11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goallie11Send a Private Message to Goallie11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your timing, I just fixed my rough idle and low rpm running issue by adjusting it and now it runs perfectly.
Spoonless

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonlessClick Here to visit Spoonless's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpoonlessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I found the problem!

Following the advice of a friend I checked the compression on the cylinders. No. 4 (farthest on the driver side) registered 0 psi, so I pulled off the valve cover and discovered a bent and broken push rod.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock