Started on: 07-11-2013 04:41 PM
Replies: 20 (628 views)
Last post by: CowsPatoot on 07-15-2013 06:44 AM
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 duke auto...currently at NAPA in Dundee, MI.

I've got an ignition issue. When it dies, the tach reads dead zero even when cranking. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ICM and coil in last 2000 miles to track down an odd miss. I think I have a broken wire in the pigtail that leads into the distributer.

Anyone in se michigan have a pigtail or possibly complete known good 84 distributor available fast?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow not good. I think there are a few members in that area.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know there are a few. I just hope they have the part I need. I'm limping it to Wixom right now, I have a friend there. that will give me safety and security and a place to work on it.

Help!!!
xxx-xxx-xxxx
Greg

Edit to remove phone number...I no longer need it this public. If you need to get in touch with me, PM notifications still come to my phone.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 07-23-2013).]

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CowsPatoot

2792 posts
Member since May 2007
OK...made it to Wixom.. I can get a new distributer by noon tomorrow at Advance... but it doesn't include the pigtail, which I think is what I need. I am mobile now as well...can steal my friend's car.

Anyone?
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing that spins and sparks up this way, aside from maybe some v6 stuff.
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just because the ICM is new doesn't mean it hasn't failed. Did you get it tested? Do you have the old one? I did the same thing and it turned out the new ICM had failed. I still have the old one which tested good. I also replaced the pigtail and coil wires at the time of the tuneup. I bought a new ICM at O'Reilly's with a life time warranty for fifty something. This was a few years ago now. The ICM alone you don't have to reset the timing plus it's cheap compared to a distributor. The tach not moving when cranking is a classic sign of ICM failure.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two ICMs here, and they both do the same thing....die randomly then will start after I wiggle the wires.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I could be more help, but I'm not sure what I have left of the old harness (84) from before my swap. I have two barrels full of wire and harness, the proper connector may be there, but I have no idea what to look for...If your in that bad of a pinch, you're more than welcome to it if you can pick it out. I'm about an hour n.e. of you, over 696 and up M-53.

If I can be of service, let me know.

Bob
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might try olejoedad, he lives in Homer, MI a bit to the west of you, but he has a lot of parts in his Two Seater Garage that he might be able to help you with. He is also very good with the Fiero's mechanically and electrically along with being a great guy to deal with.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

You might try olejoedad, he lives in Homer, MI a bit to the west of you...

Darn it...he gave me a business card at the 30th...what did I do with it? I will pm him...
blacknotchback86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blacknotchback86Send a Private Message to blacknotchback86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not far from you. is this the part you are looking for???? if so look like a re-build of the distributor if it is. also see the distributor at this link looks like it has wires too. mite have to search for it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/...2&pt=C0417&ppt=C0334

[This message has been edited by blacknotchback86 (edited 07-11-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

Darn it...he gave me a business card at the 30th...what did I do with it? I will pm him...

I can pm his phone number to you.
Fierfly

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierflySend a Private Message to FierflyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to any and all who contribute to getting my baby home safe...
and her mechanic too.

------------------
A good man is hard to find...but a good Fiero mechanic is "rare".

CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the part that I need...

and this portion of it is inside the distributor.

Somewhere in that little section is my broken wire. I can try to pull it apart and rewire it by hand...but these old connectors are pretty fragile and the distributor doesn't leave much room for splices. So...I consider that to be more risky than driving it home like it is.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a PM.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I could help but I'm in California Good luck!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can have parts this morning if you can get over here to pick them up.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also check the prongs to the coil. When I replaced my coil, the slots for the plugs on top where a little bigger than stock, and I would have this problem sometimes. I bent a small V into the center of each prong in the plugs on top of the coil, and it has stopped. Does your fuel pump kick on when the car dies on you? That would happen to me. But I also would get no cranking signal.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Parts have been acquired thanks to Olejoedad...now lets see if they will fix the problem.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<Knocking on wood.>

Ow, my head!
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2013 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For anyone wondering how this turned out.... //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...L/079675-4.html#p131
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock