Calipers and the e-Brake by Jatwaa21
Started on: 07-11-2013 10:57 AM
Replies: 5 (193 views)
Last post by: trotterlg on 07-13-2013 07:42 PM
Jatwaa21

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jatwaa21Send a Private Message to Jatwaa21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently replaced my calipers and seemingly have the same problem as before, the calipers are still not engaging. Like they are frozen. Rather than replacing the calipers again from rebuild Fiero calipers, what all calipers can I change over to with minimal modifications so that I don't have to worry about the stock types not working again?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have something wrong with your brake system, and I doubt it is the calipers. You could have bad rubber lines, a badly adjusted e-brake, etc...

Can you tell us what exactly happens and what you have replaced?
Jatwaa21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jatwaa21Send a Private Message to Jatwaa21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started with the main brake line. It's been replaced to the handle. Then I replaced both the driver and passenger calipers. After the calipers were replaced, I changed the passenger ebrake linkage so that I have fresh brake cables connector to both calipers.

I came out a few weeks later to adjust the calipers and the caliper would not fully disengage. I took her apart and rebuilt the caliper but it would still not seat completely again.

What am I missing?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If parking brake cables, handle, etc are good... (likely not)
Rebuilt caliper often are bad out of box or near future. Many use rebuilt piston and often means bad news.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This has happened to many people. It's likely a collapsed rubber brake line. You may be able to find multiple threads by searching the forum. Usually what happens is people replace the calipers and then find they won't release. When they replace the rubber line the calipers work again. Can't say from personal experience, yet, but this has come up many times on the forum.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I vote the bad hoses, it is incredably common, just nearly common knowledge I thought. You can do a mini test by just cracking the blead valve a tiny bit and see if they release properly, I would bet a 20 that is what it is. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 07-13-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock