Clutch question 86 (hyd) by dematrix86gt
Started on: 07-11-2013 01:55 AM
Replies: 4 (149 views)
Last post by: dematrix86gt on 07-11-2013 05:09 PM
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK my gt was Made 3/86. the ppl i bought it from put a push rod in place of the plunger for the slave and burnt everything up from the TB riding on the pp. Just replaced everything in the trans including clutch arm. bled the system and heres where i found a few things. the Slave i bought for the car is shorter than the one on the car. Thats 2 slave sizes. and when under the dash the Master doesnt have a bent banjo head its just straight. Looking i see theres a design 1 and design 2 on Masters. length is also different. when i ordered my slave i wanted a bore size close to master size. What should the Bore size and length be on a 3/86 Muncie 4 and what should the Bore and length on master be?

Im thinking they have these Skrewed up on this car. I know half way thru 86 they changed the trans up and im thinking they have a 5 speed hyd system on it. im not getting the full stroke to disengage the clutch. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Might mention that the 2.8 has been swapped with the 3.4 ohv camaro motor. using the 2.8 flywheel. only machining done was counterweight on the back.

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 07-11-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's likely that you do have the late 86 Getrag slave. It's shorter and stubby and has the studs pointing toward the drivers side of the car. The pushrod is shorter, too. The 4-speed is longer, has a longer pushrod and the mounting studs are bradded into the flange and point to the passenger side. The proper pushrod should be about 5 3/4 inches long.

The differences in the 2 master cylinders is that the fluid line attaches either behind the reservoir or in front of it. You can tell if the wrong one is installed because the fluid line would have to be re-bent.

The banjo rod should most definitely have the curl. Maybe they just used whatever they had lying around from another car.

In your case, when ordering clutch system parts, you should ask for 85 GT 2.8 parts. It helps to eliminate getting the Getrag parts.

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the new slave they sent me was for the getrag. the slave they have on it it the one you show but they have the bolts skrewed in the other side and on the inside of the slave bracket not outside (guessing to make up the length) was not the correct pushrod on the slave. (new ordered) the Master is design 2, cup is in the middle but does not have the correct banjo on the end. the pin on the clutch is 3/8 and the black bushing is worn to nothing. (hoping the new slave comes with it) The lines have been replaced and are kinda bent up, so i have no idea what design was on it to start with.

Hyd clutch is easy to solve when one part goes bad, but when they cobble parts and use parts that dont belong on the car makes it a nightmare. . i never suggest just replacing the whole system but in my case its the best solution for all the missmatch crap they have on it. BTW if anyone wants a free clutch disk just pay the shipping and its yours. had about 10 miles on it before the TOB went thru the PP fingers.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to dispose of the clutch disk or pressure plate. The V6 disk and pressure plate are the same throughout all years. The only difference is the release bearing that is specific to the transmission. You would only need to get a new release bearing for an 85 V6. The reason I say 85 V6 is to eliminate some of the errors in the parts house catalogs.

The 85 only came with 2 manual transmissions. The 4 cylinder had a 5-speed and the 6 cylinder had a 4-speed. The 86 model year had all 3 manual transmissions available, depending upon engine and date of manufacture. Most parts house catalogs don't even show the 4 speed as being available in 86, only the Isuzu and Getrag 5 speeds. Same goes for the master cylinders and slaves. The 2nd generation master has the fluid line attached at the front end of the slave and enters downward at 90 degrees.

It does sound as if the studs had been reoriented in order to make up for other modifications to the system. If you want to be sure of getting the right parts the first time and parts that will last, go to www.rodneydickman.com Costs a little more but you probably won't have to deal with hydraulic problems again.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think you missunderstood me, I replaced the clutch and pressure plate ,clutch arm and throwout bearing because the throwout bearing destroyed the clutch arm and pressure plate. the set up it destroyed was new and had only about 10 miles on them. The clutch disk wasnt damaged but i replaced it anyway. so if anyone needs one i have one . its new. just pay the shipping and its yours.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock