Fuel Pump Wiring by Dave E Bouy
Started on: 07-10-2013 10:21 PM
Replies: 8 (715 views)
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 07-13-2013 06:28 PM
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any reason that I couldn't eliminate the whole fuel pump wiring through the relay and oil pressure switch and replace it with a single switched wire directly from the fuse to the fuel pump connector? I just want to get in the car, switch fuel pump on manually start and drive, when I shut the car off I switch pump off and done. Simple and effective.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't that how race cars do it?

The only real danger I think is forgetting to turn it off after you park the car. Or having it switched off when you're driving on the street. I'm not saying you would do it, I'm just saying those are the possibilities on a street car.
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the system is working now why delete it?
It's simpler now with just turning the key.
The system works the way it does so if there is no oil pressure from an engine not running it will shut down the FP.
I believe that's how it's set up.
In an accident if the engine is off and the FP continues to run it could feed a fire with fuel.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The big real danger is when you get in a crash. If so, and it is a serious crash and you are incapacitated and your fuel line ruptures you will be sitting in a pool of 5 gallons of gasoline. Not somewhere I would want to be just to "simplify the wiring' of my car.

The negatives on the side of keeping the relay/oil pressure switch? You have to replace your relay instead of buying a switch?

If someone else was driving your car, and they died in the fire resulting from the crash where you disabled this safety feature you could be convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manslaughter
Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK guys. Those are points I hadn't considered. I have had issues in the past where the wring going in to the relay has broken (undoubtedly because its gettin on to 30 years old) this has recently happened again and I was looking for ways to simplify things. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the tips.

DF
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cut the wires shorter till you get to good wire, then splice on these relays. Full sized mid 90s - mid 2000s have them in the Relay Center at the firewall under the hood. Grab enough that you have some spares. The gray relays are the ones you need, but the blacks will work also. Gray are SPST, the black are SPDT. Solder splice the wires, use shrink tube over the splices and hang them on the stock Fiero relay hangers.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121280.html

If you get the relays, bases, hangers, locks and the rest from the junk yard you can forget all the part numbers.

Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

good info Dawgz. I am planning a boneyard run in the next week or so. Will snag some of these guys. Thanks

DF
Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

The system works the way it does so if there is no oil pressure from an engine not running it will shut down the FP.
I believe that's how it's set up.

No. The oil-pressure switch is in parallel with the fuel pump relay. It is there to keep the fuel pump powered as long as the engine has oil pressure, even if the fuel pump relay fails.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock