Fuel Injector Question by peteyz24
Started on: 07-10-2013 08:34 PM
Replies: 4 (190 views)
Last post by: peteyz24 on 07-11-2013 07:21 PM
peteyz24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peteyz24Send a Private Message to peteyz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 85 GT 4spd. It runs pretty rough from idle up to about 2000 rpm then smooths out. I changed the spark plugs and wires and it didnt help. What I did notive when I changed the plugs is that 3 of them were wet with fuel and 3 were a nice brown color. My thoughts are that the injectors for the 3 wet cylinders are dumping way to much fuel at lower rpm. Sticking open or something. I was wondering what you guys thought before I went ahead and tore it apart.

Thanks in advance.

Josh
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be, swap them around and see if the problem follows, or just put in a different set. Larry
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3 fuel injectors going bad at once? Were they all on the same side (1,3,5 or 2,4,6)? I'd finish the ignition trouble shooting before tearing into the upper intake. Ohm the coil and the dist pickup coil, check the ignition module wiring and grounds. Also check the TPS for proper voltage sweep.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By three being "wet" do you mean an entire side was wet and the other wasn't? If that's the case, the injectors actually work off of two fuses. One fuse controls one side of the engine while the other controls the other side. I believe the thinking behind doing this was that if one side were to fail you would still be getting some sort of power and not be completely stranded. If all six were tied to one injector and it popped you could potentially strand yourself. I don't think it necessarily matters which injector plug is plugged in where it just matters that they're on either the "front" or "rear" engine side.
peteyz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peteyz24Send a Private Message to peteyz24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for you input guys. The wet plugs came out of cylinders 2,4,5. I haven't driven the car since '08. The coil ohms out ok, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'll continue going thru the ignition system before I take the intake off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock