Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone fix a 3800SC front valve cover leak with the engine in place?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone fix a 3800SC front valve cover leak with the engine in place? by Dennis LaGrua
Started on: 07-09-2013 06:41 PM
Replies: 5 (286 views)
Last post by: FIEROFLYER on 07-09-2013 10:51 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front valve cover on my 3800SC is leaking oil at the right bottom front corner. We have a few gaskets on the shelf ready to go. I've never changed a 3800SC valve cover gasket without dropping the cradle down and barring anyone's suggestions to get around this, that is what we intend to do.
I was just wondering of anyone has had success replacing a leaking front valve cover gasket with the engine in place. Might consider a cradle tip but not sure if that has worked or not. Just trying to avoid 8-10 hours of labor just to replace that gasket.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DonP

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DonPClick Here to visit DonP's HomePageSend a Private Message to DonPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We did the cradle tip thing (dropped the back, left front hooked up)when we developed a leak at the track. Worked very well. Didn't take much of a drop to gain proper access.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DonP:

We did the cradle tip thing (dropped the back, left front hooked up)when we developed a leak at the track. Worked very well. Didn't take much of a drop to gain proper access.

Thanks. I thought that this method would work. Here is how I envision the process:
1. Disconnect dog bone(s) I have two
2. Lift up car just until rear wheels leave the ground ( we have a lift)
3. Remove CAI coupling
4. Remove rear wheels
5. heater hose at LIM.
5. Engine to pipe hoses/coolant?
5. check all wires for enough slack.
6. loosen front cradle bolts
7. Remove deck lid??/
put jack on rear of cradle support cradle and remove both rear cradle bolts. Lower rear of cradle down
It sounds very doable but this is my first attempt at this. Is that the process that you used???

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Weird. I've never had any issue. I've even replaced head gaskets with everything still bolted in place.
Should take 5 minutes, tops.
------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 07-09-2013).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

Weird. I've never had any issue. I've even replaced head gaskets with everything still bolted in place.
Should take 5 minutes, tops.

The job may not be a big deal but most of the work that I have ever done on a 3800SC in a Fiero has been with the cradle removed and/or the engine on a stand. You can do an effective job of injector changing, pulley changing, supercharger removal and even intercooler installation etc with everything in place but I believe that replacing the front valve cover gasket will take more than 5 minutes. First off the idler bracket at the right side of the front valve cover must be removed to gain access. Deck lid most likely must be removed and harness swung away too. Maybe that would do it. Just thought that I'd pose the question before I dig in.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the firewall side if you remove the deck lid it is easy to do as long as the GTP ign mod/dog bone bracket has been trimmed enough to clear, on the trunk side it is a pain as you need to remove the stock 3800 alt bracket if you are using one. Either way loosening the nut and bolt on the bracket for pulling the engine helps the valve cover clear when removing. Dan

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock