Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Auto to manual swap without manual fiero donor. Is it possible?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Auto to manual swap without manual fiero donor. Is it possible? by Treep78
Started on: 07-07-2013 09:27 PM
Replies: 16 (1022 views)
Last post by: pttransamdriver on 07-08-2013 09:42 PM
Treep78

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I want to do a manual transmission for my 87' Fiero SE. It currently has the 2.5 Duke and the 3-speed auto and I was thinking about swapping in a 2.2.L Ecotech with a 5-speed manual. The thing is I can't get a hold of a donor fiero with a manual tranny and was wondering if it is going to be possible to get all the components I need out of the same car I'm getting the engine and tranny. I'm not afraid of some fabrication as obviously I'd need to do some for this to work.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you think you can find a donor car that has the engine in the back? Or are you thinking you will just mount the shifter rotated 180 deg?

Are you ready to do extensive modifications to your under dash pedals to make the ones from your donor car work?

Many donor cars don't even use a hydraulic clutch. Have you thought about that?

On the other hand I bet there must be thousands of junk yards between MA and TX that have bolt in parts directly from MT fieros. I would even think if you went to the mall section of this forum you could get bolt in pieces for cheap.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-07-2013).]

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with phonedawgz.

You might be able to get what is fiero specific from people in the mall. Maybe even find some one who wants to convert to an Auto and do some even swapping of parts.

-Dave
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you have some personal attachment to the car just sell it and buy one with a stick in it. You will save your self a lot of pain, suffering, time and money. Larry
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure when you think about it going manual with a non stock engine and tranny there is different parts needed so all that you could use from a parts car would be the pedals and a 5 speed shifter which you can get from others in the mall section.
The mounts and shifter brackets and possibly cables from a parts car are not much use with a swap like this.
Things like the hydraulic lines should be replaced with new parts any ways to make your car that much better and a nice new Rodney Dickman aluminum slave cylinder is much better then an old stock unit and new shifter cables is always a good idea. Dan.

------------------

DARN Cars now open with
Over 30 years wiring experience between cars and trade as an avionics technician in both Canadian Air Force and civilian aviation.
Over 25 years experience building and modifying cars.
Over 10 years of full Fiero engine swaps and harnesses building and still going.

Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The idea is to use the engine, transmission, wireing harness, fuel system, and computer out of a cavalier and modify it to fit in the Fiero. When I started the project I looked for a few months for a manual Fiero but where I have the car is in the middle of Nowhere Texas so a donor wasn't and still isn't available. I was hoping there is a way to rig the shifter backwards and convert the system to work forwards but if this sounds like a stupid idea that's cool just let me know. What I'm really looking for is the most strait forward way to get a manual tranny in a Fiero without having a donor mt Fiero. If there is a better engine/tranny combo for this I'd love to hear about it. Thanks for all the suggestions!
pttransamdriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pttransamdriverSend a Private Message to pttransamdriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes It's very possible, I got the Fiero specific parts I needed here at the mall (Clutch and bake pedals and brackets). I swapped in a 1998 2.5L Duratec engine and 5spd from a Contour (I wanted all Aluminum) I'll be posting the full tread here after I finish the interior. Since the engine is in front of the front wheels in the donor car, it swaps over nicely to a mid-engine layout. I've actually been surprised at how easy it has been to do, and as far as I know I'm the only one to do this swap. So yours should be even easier.
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks that's really encouraging! Here's a fun fact by the way: this won't be the first time this has been done. Over in Europe Opel used the same engine and tranny I'm planning to use in the mid engine Opel Speedster, weird but hey, whatever works.
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Treep78:
...The thing is I can't get a hold of a donor fiero with a manual tranny and was wondering if it is going to be possible to get all the components I need out of the same car I'm getting the engine and tranny...

The car was built for 5 years and was more popular with women who favored an auto.
For the following 25 years it has been favored by young guys who want to play with a stick.

Do the math and you’ll understand why it is tough to find a donor car for a 5 speed.

chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why go from 2.4 to 2.2?

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ecotech is a better engine. Plus if I'm using the drivetrain from a single car I don't have to mess with the computer. Though I may end up using a 2.4l dual cam just cause the donor car will be cheaper for the same power.
PFF
System Bot
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get a spare cradle. do the swap on that. drive the car while you are swapping it. You will not need ANYTHING from your old drive line so you don't need to take it out to start this.
chorcob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chorcobSend a Private Message to chorcobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops i meant to say 2.5 to 2.2

------------------
Unconditional Surrender

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

Unless you have some personal attachment to the car just sell it and buy one with a stick in it. You will save your self a lot of pain, suffering, time and money. Larry

I thought pain, suffering, time and money was what owning a Fiero was all about. Did I miss something????
Treep78

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Treep78Send a Private Message to Treep78Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FFIEROFRED

Rate this member

07-08-2013 05:47 PM

get a spare cradle. do the swap on that. drive the car while you are swapping it. You will not need ANYTHING from your old drive line so you don't need to take it out to start this.

I don't actuall drive the car so it's not I problem. The engine didn't turn over when I bought it, which didn't matter to me since I wasn't planning to use it anyway.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Treep78:

Ecotech is a better engine. Plus if I'm using the drivetrain from a single car I don't have to mess with the computer.

True only if you are keeping the anti-theft-VATs, BCM, traction control, dash?, evaporation controls including the fuel tank vent solenoid, the evap solenoid, the fuel level sender that runs to the ECM, not the dash, the pollution controls including upstream o2 sensor, the CAT and the down stream O2 sensor, the tire size and steering column from the donor car.

In other words, plan on messing with the PCM. It's easier.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 07-08-2013).]

pttransamdriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pttransamdriverSend a Private Message to pttransamdriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Opel, Nice! Yeah I'm basing my swap off the Noble M400 Idea, euro sports car inpiration, right on. I have to admit I cheated a little too, I got the ISIS Power electrical system for mid-engine cars. I'm an Electrical Engineer and I still would rather pay for a wiring kit rather then do the full integration to a modern harness myself. Tip: Keep everything from your engine wire harness and computer and power it with the kit, it makes life much easier.

[This message has been edited by pttransamdriver (edited 07-08-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock