Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  what's the best turbo set-up for 3.4 swappers?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
what's the best turbo set-up for 3.4 swappers? by hypo327
Started on: 07-06-2013 06:23 AM
Replies: 6 (297 views)
Last post by: Hudini on 07-07-2013 05:23 AM
hypo327

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3.4 Swappers! What is the best turbo set-up for the 3.4 to get top performance and no lag? The 3.4 is designed to take the extra stress of a turbo, and that just might be the less expensive way to get that 200+ h.p. without going to all the expense of a 3800 swap. Please let me know what you think is
the best one!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the ability to fab a turbo setup, then you have the ability to do a 3800sc swap and will come out ahead. I love everything about my turbo 2.8, but don't fool yourself into thinking a properly done turbo system is a cheaper/better alternative to a swap.

That said, I'm not one to try to tell someone to abandon their ideas so if you're really wanting to do a turbo 3.4, this thread has a lot of good info...//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129084.html

------------------

My turbo build

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "best" turbo is the one that meets your goals. Is your goal 200 hp? That is easily obtainable with a T3. You want more horsepower? Define exactly what you want then find the turbo to get there. I want 340 crank hp from my 3.4 (100 hp/liter) and the GT35 (or similar) will provide the airflow to allow it.

I'd suggest the Garrett app called BoostAdviser. Plug in your numbers and find the required airflow to reach your horsepower goal. Then go find a compressor map that matches. Realize the 3.4 makes peak power at 4500 rpm. It will rev to 6k, but that is past max torque.
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I'd suggest the Garrett app called BoostAdviser. Plug in your numbers and find the required airflow to reach your horsepower goal. Then go find a compressor map that matches.

Neat program, saved for later use! Thanks!

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Believe it or not, 327 RWHP @397 ft lbs torque has been achieved from a 3.4L P/R engine w cam, intercooling, CO2 cryo cooler, using race gas and a turbo. It may not be the most cost effective/reliable way to horsepower but its works for some.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what I am using on my 3.4 push rod turbo setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400...id=p3984.m1423.l2649

Note that I have now modified my cold air intake to pull in air from my now functional side air scoop.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 07-06-2013).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2013 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy that turbo straight from China for less:

http://www.aliexpress.com/s...13991_725054022.html

I cannot find a compressor map yet.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock