Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anybody ever seen this or done this? Is it legal?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anybody ever seen this or done this? Is it legal? by hcforde
Started on: 07-05-2013 11:32 PM
Replies: 18 (632 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 07-06-2013 09:14 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I am talking about is getting 2 Fiero's from point A to point B at the same time. I have a Sequoia with a 4.7L engine. I will be pulling a trailer with a Fiero on it. What I am contemplating is attaching a towbar to another Fiero and pulling it behind the trailer. While I will be below the weight for pulling it. IS IT LEGAL? THE CAR THAT WOULD BE PULLED BEHIND THE TRAILER DOES NOT HAVE AN ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION. That is the other issue, does this pose any threat to the integrity of the car to be towed? BTW the trip will be 1700miles.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a GMC DuraMax it will pull like there was nothing back there. LOL

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 07-05-2013).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure there is some sort of bolt and nut through the rear axle hubs.
They are just pressed together and will not stay that way if the car is rolled any distance without axles.

Pray that you don't have to back up. It ain't gonna work.
Have good brakes.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Triple Towing: What You Need To Know Before You Pull 2 Trailers Behind A Car, Truck, Or RV

Let’s face it, sometimes you need to be able to pull 2 trailers behind one vehicle.
For example, you might want to tow a boat and a vehicle behind your RV. Or maybe you’d like to tow a camper and a boat behind your vehicle. Maybe you have a toy hauler filled with ATVs, bicycles, motorcycles, etc. and you’d like to tow it along with another trailer to your destination.
The point is… there are times when just one trailer isn’t enough for everything you’d like to bring along with you!

Here’s some good news: in many states it’s legal to tow 2 trailers at the same time.

Triple towing is allowed in the following states:
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

Exceptions To The Rule

Of course, nothing is ever straightforward and simple though.
Many of these states have a variety of restrictions which could still hamper your ability to tow two trailers.
For example, some states limit total length of all 3 units to 65 feet. In some instances, the limit is 70 feet or 75 feet total length.
In some states, triple towing is restricted to adding the second trailer only behind a 5th wheel trailer.
Many states limit the second trailer to recreational equipment, such as a boat, snowmobile, or ATV 4-wheelers.
In California you even need a special endorsement on your drivers license to tow any trailer over 10,000 lbs or to drive a motorhome that is over 40 feet in length.

Rules For Commercial Trucks vs Recreational Vehicles

As far as state DMVs go, the world of recreational vehicles and the world of commercial trucking are 2 separate entities.
Some states allow “double bottom,” “triple,” or however you wish to label a situation where you have 2 trailers hooked behind one tow vehicle in the commercial truck classifications. But, you must realize that that these rules may not cross over to the recreational vehicle world.
Commercial triples are set up such that the air brake system continues on through all 3 pieces. The second trailer rides on a 5th wheel dolly, not a 2-inch chrome ball purchased at the local hardware store. Therefore, when commercial trucks apply the brakes, all wheels will apply at the same time with equal pressure.
On the other hand, recreational vehicles may have air brakes on the motorhome, electric brakes on the first trailer, and in many cases no brakes at all on the third item being towed.
To that end, the federal D.O.T. doesn’t want any part of regulating non-commercial situations. So, they leave it completely up to each state to set their own limitations. Just remember, seeing a semi truck pulling 2 trailers on or near an interstate highway does NOT mean you’re good to go with more than one trailer.

Triple Towing Laws By State

There are 2 websites that list information pertaining to trailer towing rules and regulations for all states:
Woodall’s Rules of the Road – This site appears to have the most information. In fact, it provides more information beyond simply whether triples are allowed or not. As an example, here in Minnesota triples are allowed, but the second trailer must be recreational equipment such as a boat, snowmobile, or ATV 4-wheeler.
Towing World – This site provides a good chart, but it is missing some important information.
Online Towing Guide – This site summarizes state towing laws across the U.S.
Of course, these resources should be looked at as basic guidelines. Keep in mind that laws change and information can get mixed up in translation. The only way to get completely accurate information about triple towing is to contact the Department of Transportation or Highway Patrol offices for your state and any states you plan on traveling through.
If you do consider towing 2 trailers, be sure to follow all regulations and safety measures! You will be accepting a whole new level of responsibility with that second trailer. Your ability to maneuver in close spaces (or to stop safely) may be reduced considerably. One thing’s for sure, you can forget about backing up with this combination! Getting everything to turn the way you want in a triple-tow configuration will be next to impossible.

http://rv-roadtrips.thefunt...07/triple_towing.php
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's probably not legal. It would be like a triple. There are a lot of restrictions on those. Like he says, it would be very difficult to back up. You could put one or more cars on a flat bed truck or in a box truck and still pull another.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2013 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are you going to handle brake lights and turn signals on the car with towbar? I don't know about running a towbar behind the trailer, but I know you better have brake lights and turn signals or you will get pulled over...

I think you would be better off renting a longer trailer if possible. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with what you are looking at...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vehicle with wheels on the ground must have a valid plate, they will check.
Two trailers will work.
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A car dolly with the fiero rear wheels on it and it's front wheels on the ground may work. Larry
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do don't get into a position where you have to back up!
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

raysr11

1254 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Whatever you do don't get into a position where you have to back up!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drive 25 miles, unhook the one car,
Then go get the other and drive 50 miles, unhook
Drive back to car 1
Repete j/k
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To expand on what Raydar said, rolling the car with the rear wheels on the ground and axle stubs removed will destroy the hub bearings. Even short distances like rolling it out or into your garage. So, just rolling the rear up onto a dolly or trailer could destroy them.

Another issue to consider is that either towed vehicle could start to wander side to side. This could cause the whole rig to start to snake down the road. I've even seen tandem semis have this problem, once with disastrous effects involving a FedEx truck.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a guy who was trying to drive his drunk buddy's car and his own by the leapfrog method. They charged him with DUI.

My father bought a used trailer to haul gardening stuff. Every time he took it out he would get pulled over.

Seriously, you could wreck three cars. Have you asked your insurance company or checked your policy? If you have an accident doing this they might not pay for anything. Does the one Fiero run? Three safe trips would be better than one disaster. What are the particulars of this trip? Maybe someone on the forum could help.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rent a trailer that can fit both cars.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-08-2013).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might be able to get them both in a 24 foot truck by removing the bumpers. You might be able to get both in a shorter truck or trailer by building or buying something that would let you stack them.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I would have to agree with the consensus .....don' do it!!
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't have enough engine.
diabloroadster

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for diabloroadsterSend a Private Message to diabloroadsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You being in Austin have you tried UShip.com (I think) its a Austin based business where shipping companys bid on your shipping? Theres gotta be someone out there that's got a 2 car trailer that could transport them for a decent price.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"There is wisdom in the counsel of many" I will listen to that counsel and not do it.

Sometimes you want something so badly to try to go to extreme length to make it happen rather than waiting for it to come to you. This is such a case.

Some of you may know the back story, for those that don't I will attempt to give you the short version. I live in Austin, TX but went to Calif. last month and bought 3 Fiero's. One I drove back, One is a 1988 T-Top Fastback which has a Fuel pump issue and the other is a 1988 Coupe in which JUST the engine and trans have been removed(from the top). Otherwise it is intact and was purchased for $100. The plan was to go back when it was cooler and strip the Coupe, put the parts in the back of my Sequoia, put the T-Top on a trailer and go back to Austin.

My current inventory of Fiero's that I have here in Austin is as follows
1988 6 Cyl Automatic GT Fastback - complete, runs perfectly
1987 6 Cyl Automatic GT Fastback - complete, been sitting for 12 years -BOUGHT AS A PARTS CAR, panels of but seemed a bit off, was in a front end collision and was repaired but the owner stopped driving it probable because it did NOT drive properly
1986 6 Cyl 4 speed GT Fastback - complete, runs, has a slave cylinder problem most likely, mild cam upgrade, custom exhaust
1885 6 Cyl Automatic SE - Complete, runs but will not shift out of neutral
1985 4 Cyl 5 Speed SE Notchie - complete, runs perfectly. garaged car, interior next to perfect

1988 6 Cyl 5 speed GT Fastback - fuel pump issue - Fresno, CA
1988 No drive train coupe, very good interior and exterior - Garden Valley, CA

I would love to take the drive train out of the 1987 6 Cyl Automatic GT Fastback - complete, been sitting for 12 years, REBUILD IT, and put it into the 1988 coupe. I have been trying to figure out all of the ways to get it back here in one piece cost effectively. This was my last resort and it went down in flames, and probably rightly so for the safety of other on the highway and my own safety as well. By the time I get these other projects out of the way I will probably be able to get a 1988 chassis locally for less than it will cost me to transport this $100 car intact from Calif. to Texas; when you get something free or cheap it begins to cloud your my common sense.

Thanks to ALL of you for your replies, they are much appreciated.
Phonedawgz, I could get through every state easily with the triple setup except for Arizona.(third wheel trailers only) Even thought about sneaking through at night(WHICH AM PLANNING ON DRIVING MOST OF THE TIME ANYWAY). But if I got stopped, I would most likely have to drop the car and take revin's advice. Thanks buddy!!! LOL. (BTW revin, we have to get together some time soon). I looked into a 24ft trailer some months back even before this came up. They are very rare, especially for a normal hitch. Gooseneck hitch!, They are available but expensive even to try and rent. That becomes a moot point though if the hub bearings are destroyed. (QUESTION THOUGH: The drivetrain was taken out through the top,the hard way, just the engine and trans, so does this still apply?)

Light kits are available that can be attached to cars being pulled by towbars--though most of them have magnetic bases.

To answer your other concern 85 SE VIN 9, I had not even thought about the insurance equation on a setup like that. THANKS

As to shipping companies, caveat emptor. I can do the job myself for about $750 and a week of my time. A couple of days will be spent stripping off the parts I want from the coupe, and that is something the shipping company will not do.

Thanks again for setting my head back on straight.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock