The Caddy doesn't use a high pressure switch. According to the manual, it uses a high side temperature sensor that appears to talk to the BCM. The BCM then cuts off the compressor. (It also uses a low side temp sensor to cycle the compressor, the same way.)
Apparently, both sensors were done away with in the installs that this particular entity was doing. Only the pressure cycling switch in the accumulator is retained.
But yeah... Looks like the hose failed before the compressor vented.
FWIW, my fan comes on whenever the A/C is turned on. That was retained after the swap.
I was traveling at ~80 MPH, so the fan shouldn't have been an issue. The temperature was low-to-mid 80s, as I recall.
Also, when I disconnected the lines from the compressor, everything that leaked out was clear in color, except for a trace of green dye that I had installed a while back, looking for leaks (which I found.)
It looks like the entire line pulled out of the crimp. Well, the outside sheath, anyway.
The inside (layers) appear to still be inside the crimp. It looks like the hose just "delaminated". There is a possibility it was overcharged, but not according to the gauge on the (admittedly cheap) fill hose attachment.
At the very least, I plan to replace the accumulator (which I can't guarantee was replaced when the system was swapped and converted) and the orifice tube.
I'll flush out whatever I need to. Based upon the look of the compressor, the system may not be crapped up as badly as I first suspected.
[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-06-2013).]